Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Review: Murder Off Mike by Joyce Krieg (Talk Radio Mysteries #1)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fast moving, twisty plot
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Local radio
And spunky main character
Great mystery debut




This Debut is Outta Sight!


It's a typical afternoon on the Shauna J. Bogart radio talk show until Rudy from West Sacramento calls in. He claims to have seen someone carrying out the body of fellow talk show host Dr. Hipster. Since Dr. Hipster is Shauna's best friend and mentor, Shauna doesn't find the call at all funny. Just in case it is true, she sends Glory Lou, the station news force, to check it out. She's devastated to learn that the call wasn't a prank. Even more disturbing is the fact that the police are calling it a suicide, and the suicide note makes it seem that Shauna is to blame. Knowing that can't be the case, she starts to investigate, looking first at the show that Dr. Hipster had planned for that night. It seems to be a standard show with information about the current governor's race in California. What had Dr. Hipster learned that lead to his death? With constant clues coming in that don't make any sense, Shauna may be facing more then she bargained for.

When I learned that this book was a St. Martin's Press winner, I had to give it a try. And I wasn't disappointed. The clues come fast and furious, but just lead me around in circles. I was so hooked I stayed up way too late two nights in a row to get "just a little further." Everything does come together for a logical conclusion, however. Shauna and her friends are fun characters. I enjoyed getting to know them. I especially enjoyed Shauna's intern Josh. He provides some youthful energy and mischief that make his scenes fun. The author's many years in small, local talk stations are evident as facts are put in smoothly to bring the story more vividly to life. Sacramento has always been a favorite city of mine, and the author brings it and the surrounding area to life. The first couple of chapters are a little rough, but once I got past those, everything smoothed out and I never looked back.

I do have two serious complaints about Murder Off Mike. First, I didn't read it sooner. Second, I don't see how the author will ever top this fun, intriguing first effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.