Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Ornament Review: Sandal the Sandman #5 - A Christmas Trees of Shells - 2026 Hallmark Release

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Classy looking and creative final entry
Cons: A bit monochromatic; noticeable tilt
The Bottom Line:
Building a shell tree
As series comes to an end
Have warm memories




Sandal Sadly Says Goodbye with Another Tree

I wasn’t surprised when Hallmark announced that this year would be the last for the Sandal the Sandman ornament series.  While I have really enjoyed the series, it’s beach theme was going to be a hard sell for a lot of people.  But I do love the symmetry since it goes out with Sandal creating another tree.

As the name implies, the series has featured a beach twist on the classic Christmas character.  Instead of a snowman, we have a sandman.  Sandal wears a blue and white striped scarf (or is that a beach towel?) and a wide beach hat.  And he has beach friends.  In this case, Sandal is joined by a turtle.

The first year, Sandal was decorating a palm tree to get in the Christmas spirit.  This year, he’s creating a tree, but it’s out of beach shells.  It’s white and gold and in a traditional Christmas tree shape.  And he’s putting a star fish on the top.

The animals in this series have always been a bit cartoony, and that holds true of the turtle in this ornament.  It’s also one of the few splashes of color.  The ornament is very white between the sand and the majority of the shells being a silver color.

But I do like it.  It is very classy looking and such a fun twist on the traditional Christmas images.  As a Southern California resident, it’s these little touches that I’ve been enjoying for the entire series.  Again, I get that not everyone would like it, but I love it.

As always, the ornament features a nice flat base, so the ornament can be put out for display on any flat surface if you want to add it to a scene.  You’ll also find the 5 in a Christmas tree on the bottom.

The ornament does tip a little to the right, which isn’t a surprise given where the loop is.  I wonder why it wasn’t shifted a bit to the right to help balance things.  Maybe the hat brim isn’t as strong as I’m thinking it is.

I do wish this series had gotten to go on longer, but I’m glad that Hallmark tried something different with it.  Sandal’s fans will be happy with this last entry in the series.

Warm up with the rest of the Sandal the Sandman ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.