Whiskey, Golf, and Sheep in Scotland
It really is hard to describe the Anty Boisjoly series for the uninitiated. They are part comedy and part locked room mystery set in the late 1920’s Europe. But it’s a mix that works for me, and I enjoyed the sixth book, The Case of the Case of Kilcladdich.
The main character is Anty, a young man who has recently inherited from his father. He has no need to work, which is a good thing because it means he can travel around getting involved in the most puzzling of locked room mysteries. The only other returning character in this book is Vickers, his elderly manservant who has been serving the Boisjolys for generations.
This book finds Anty heading to Scotland where two neighboring villages compete every ten years to determine which produces the best whiskey. The winner is the official whiskey for the next decade, so the stakes are high. It all involves which peat is used and where the water is drawn from, you see. Anty’s father used to be on the judging panel, so Anty is there taking his place.
But when he arrives, he learns that one of the two competing distillers has just blown himself up while attempting to make this year’s batch. The detective assigned to the case is quick to blame the outsiders, but Anty is more focused on how the crime could have been committed. How does the world’s hardest golf course play into things? Can Anty get any investigating done with the flock of sheep he has following him?
I will admit, when I first started this book, I was certain that I was going to find it frustrating. The two villages have very similar names. The two families most involved in the feud have similar names. Heck, the two bartenders have similar names. I was beginning to worry that I’d need a score sheet to keep everyone straight. Yet, as I read, I found I was able to keep the main suspects and their relationships to each other straight. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Okay, so I never could remember which side of the divide a couple of the characters were on, but it didn’t wind up mattering.
As a mystery, this is a good book. There is plenty happening to keep me engaged, which some nice red herrings and twists until I reached the logical climax. As usual for this series, I really had no clue where things were going to wind up, but the clues had been there.
As a comedy, this is a good book. This series has been a bit too gimmicky at times, with too much word play, not only slowing the book down but making me roll my eyes. And, given my love of puns, that’s really saying something. Here’s, the word play was used in the perfect amount. It never stood out in an obnoxious way, but it did make me smile and laugh multiple times. And there are plenty of other things to laugh at in this book. Yes, they might be a bit out there, but somehow it works in the context of this series. I think it does help if you are in the right mood when you pick up a book in this series.
Speaking of series, each book really does work as a standalone. Certainly, it helps that we only have two returning characters. So if this book appeals to you, can you jump in here.
I do think there is a continuity error, but it didn’t impact the story, and I wasn’t bothered enough to go back and double check. I was caught up enough in the story that I didn’t care.
If you are looking to laugh while solving a puzzling mystery, you need to check out this series. The Case of the Case of Kilcladdich is another delightfully wacky case anyone will enjoy.
Enjoy the rest of the Anty Boisjoly Mysteries.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.