Friday, February 2, 2024

February 2nd's Friday Post

Time for this week's Friday Post.  As always, I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

For the first three, I'll be pulling teasers from The Secrets We Keep by Liz Milliron.


This is the fifth book in her Homefront Mysteries, which are set in Buffalo, New York, during World War II.

As usual for this series, the beginning is a bit reflective on the theme of the book:

Everyone has secrets. They can be small things, like hidin’ what your best friend bought her beau for his birthday. Or knowin’ that your brothers broke your mom’s favorite lamp, but not tellin’ her.  These might make you uncomfortable for a while, but if they come out in the open, the damage isn’t bad. If it’s a good secret, like the present, it can even be fun.

Then there are the whoppers. They might be about who you are, or where you come from, or things that will ruin you. They fester, like an infected cut, and make you miserable from the inside out. Secrets that big turn your world upside down, spin it like a top, and leave you wonderin’ which way is up.

They can even get you killed.

Yes, that's a much longer opening that I'd normally share, but I like how it sets up the story.  And that last line!  I mean, this is a murder mystery, after all.

Meanwhile, at 56% into the eARC I read, we find this:

"How’d you know I was home? I could have been out working the Carstairs case.”

I shrugged. “It was a gamble. If you’re comin’ up as empty as I am, I figured you’d take the day off.”

Okay, yes, there are characters in this book with the last name Carstairs.  Which might have been inspired by my user name.  Yes, I was grinning when I realized that.

This is another fantastic mystery.  I'll be back with my full review on Tuesday, which just happens to be release day.

Meanwhile, let's close things out with this week's Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

What was the last book you read in one sitting?

I honestly have no clue.  I rarely have time to sit and read for that long.  Even if I'm on a plane, I usually have started the book before the trip begins.  For me, if I finish a book in two days, I feel like it was a fast read.  And that's usually about length more than anything else.

Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. That is so great having a character with your same name. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A character named after you is incredible. Have a great weekend, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good setup. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, those are GREAT first lines. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a whopper of an opener! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds it challenging to read a book in one day. By the way, thanks for mentioning last week that you read every day even if it's just one chapter. I did that this week and read more than I normally would in a week. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that opening. The final line of the opening you shared got my attention. And how cool that the character has the same name as your username!

    I don't generally have time to sit and read for long either. I can maybe finish something very short--like a short manga or a short poetry collection, but even that isn't very often.

    Have a great weekend, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book. Especially the last line like you say!

    I consider 2 days a fast read too - I can't remember when I last did that though either 😶

    I can realistically only read children's books in one setting.

    Have a good weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/02/02/book-blogger-hop-what-was-the-last-book-you-read-in-one-sitting/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Saturday! 😀
    I’m just beginning While the City Sleeps by Elizabeth Camden. I’ve only read chapters 1 & 2 so far, but they’re very pull-the-reader-in kind of chapters.
    “Keeping the forces of darkness and corruption at bay was a never-ending battle, but Jonathan would pay any price to keep his city safe.”
    I hope you have an excellent weekend! 😀📚

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great beginning! I'm a big fan of books set during this time period, so I need to check this series out. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the setting of this one. I've read a lot of home front books set in England but very few in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.