Thursday, September 28, 2017

Movie Review: Pillow Talk



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun if predictable romantic comedy
Cons: Elements of the film are definitely dated
The Bottom Line:
Frenimies attract
Romantic comedy
Dated but still fun




“There Must Be Some Way to Get a Private Line.”

I don’t know that I would have ever heard of Pillow Talk if it weren’t for Diane Vallere’s series of books with a main character who lives her life inspired by Doris Day movies.  I’ve decided I want to watch the movies before reading the books (and now I need to get the first book read).  However, I’m thrilled I used this excuse because it was fun.

The movie has a dated premise.  It revolves around interior decorator Jan Morrow (Doris Day) and composer Brad Allen (Rock Hudson) who share a party line.  Exactly.  It did come out in the late 1950’s, which explains that part of the premise.

Anyway, the two are always fighting over the party line, usually because Brad is hogging it to sing songs to his many girlfriends when Jan is needing it to make calls for her business.  As a result, the two have never met but can’t stand each other.

What neither of them realizes is that they have a friend in common.  Jonathan Forbes (Tony Randall) is one of Jan’s clients who is in love with her and a college friend of Brad’s who is producing his latest Broadway show.  Jonathan’s descriptions of Jan intrigue Brad, and when he catches a glimpse of her, he decides he must win her heart.  And so he proceeds to pretend to be someone else to date Jan.  Will this end well?

Yes, I know that this part of the premise has been used in other movies as well (and someday I really should see You’ve Got Mail at a minimum), but this film has plenty of fun with it.  There’s nothing too surprising about the plot points, but I had so much fun along the way that I didn’t care.

Like Jan, I did feel that Brad was a cad in the beginning of the film.  I’m not sure I completely buy his transformation by the end of this story, but this is a romantic comedy, so I will let that slide.

And comedy this is.  There are some very good zingers in this film, most of which took me by surprise.  This isn’t a laugh a minute, but you’ll definitely laugh as you watch.

And the cast is wonderful.  They bring the characters and the mood to perfect life.

It is very interesting how our society has changed in the almost sixty years since this movie came out.  Things that were considered scandalous then are common today.  It’s something else that dates the movie – attitudes toward sex outside of marriage.  Again, just remember the release date and you’ll be fine.

While Pillow Talk might have dated elements, the characters and comedy are as fresh and fun today as they were when it first came out.  You’ll enjoy this movie when you are looking for some light, fun entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. You've Got Mail was, in fact, based on a Jimmy Stewart film called The Shop Around The Corner, which was set in Hungary, I think(haven't seen it in years) in which two workmates can't stand each other but are in love as pen pals.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.