Friday, July 21, 2023

July 21st's Friday Post

I'm getting a late start on my Friday post, but I wanted to do two in a row.  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

For the first three, my teasers are going to come from Murder at a London Finishing School by Jessica Ellicott.


This is the seventh in the Beryl and Edwina Mysteries.  Obviously, it is set in England, and it is a historical series, set in the 1920's.

Here's how this book opens.

The day was just exactly the sort that Edwina Davenport most loved.  The air was fresh and a rose-scented breeze floated in through a pair of windows opened onto the back garden.  She had nothing marked down in her diary for the day and had decided to allow herself the pleasure of a few hours spent working on her novel.

Given that this is the opening paragraph of the book, you know she's going to be interrupted.  It's not the most gripping of openings, but it does welcome you into the story, especially if you already know and love the characters.  It worked for me since I've read the previous books in the series.

Meanwhile on page 56, we find this quote:

Edwina glanced at the airplane and felt her stomach lurch.  Beryl's driving had been quite enough motorized excitement for one week.

I finished the book yesterday, and I really enjoyed it.  It comes out on Tuesday, but my review will be up on Monday.  I hope you'll come back and read it.

Let's finish things up with the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Which plot twist is your favorite?

Considering I mostly read mysteries, I love it when I get to the end, and I am completely surprised by the killer.  However, for it to be my favorite, all the clues have to have been there, but they were worked in so well I didn't pick up on them.  In other words, I like to feel stupid when I get to the climax for missing the obvious.  When I put it that way....

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great mystery where you are completed surprised by the killer. Here's my BBH: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2023/07/21/book-blogger-hop-favorite-plot-twist/comment-page-1/#comment-7089

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snippets had me thinking of my Auntie Beryl. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about plot twists that reveal new details which make you realize you've fallen for all the red herrings along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series yet. I like the setting. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the quotes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed this one. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree with your description of a good plot twist in a mystery! I like it when I have to go back to see the clues and make it make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked those snippets. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fun and I love the cover! Like you I read a lot of mysteries and can usually guess the bulk of what's going on with a plot so it is so fun when I get completely surprised!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.