Thursday, July 27, 2023

Movie Review: A Christmas...Present

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Overall, an uplifting movie
Cons: Cheese and early cringe
The Bottom Line:
Spend Christmas with a
Disconnected family
I grew to like it


“Nobody Does Math in the Real World.”  “We’re in Santa’s Workshop, and I’m Wearing Reindeer Antlers.  How Is This the Real World?”

I’ve watched Candace Cameron Bure in quite a bit over the years, but I had never watched any of her Christmas movies.  I decided it was time to change that, so when I spotted A Christmas…Present on the schedule at Great American Family, I decided that was the one to start with, especially since her co-star was Marc Blucas, another actor I’m familiar with.

The movie introduces us to the Larson family.  Maggie (Candace Cameron Bure) is a real estate agent and Eric (Marc Blucas) is a lawyer.  Between their careers and their teenage children (Claire Capek and Caleb Reece Paul), they are constantly on the go.  Maggie is not having any luck getting the four of them into the same room for any Christmas traditions.

Then Maggie, feeling guilty that she hasn’t been there for her brother, Paul (Paul Fitzgerald), decides the family should go spend the holiday with him and his daughter (Keilah Davies).  Paul has lost his wife in the last few months, so Maggie expects this holiday to be hard for him.

In typical Maggie fashion, she starts to fill every second of their visit.  But what will time away show her about herself?

I sat down to watch this movie knowing nothing about it, so when I realized what the plot was going to be, I was surprised.  This wasn’t a typical Christmas romance movie.  Yes, there is some romance, but that isn’t all there is to it.  Now, this isn’t to say the movie isn’t completely predictable.  I had most of the story figured out early on.

And part of that was the very painful to watch early parts.  Maggie decides what should happen, and then plows ahead with it whether that is what anyone else wants to do or not.  And she is sure she is right about everything.  Yes, I get it, that is the beginning of her character arc, but it still made me cringe plenty of times.

But as the movie went along, I found myself enjoying it more.  For a Christmas movie, the story touches on some rather deep subjects, and it does so credibly for a movie that clocks in at under and hour and a half.  Oh, it’s not anything new or original, but it’s good to be reminded of what should really matter in our lives.

I was also surprised to find a very heavy Christian theme to the movie.  Yes, I know Candace is a strong Christian, but I just didn’t expect to find it in the film.  I’ll admit, parts of it seemed forced, but as the movie went along, it felt like more of a natural part of the story.  Maybe it was just that I was getting used to it being there.  As a Christian myself, I certainly appreciated that it was included and what the Christian characters were saying.  I found that part of the climax a cop out, but that’s probably all I could expect from this movie.

Unfortunately, the film did have some low budget cheese.  It came through in the writing and the acting.  Honestly, I can see how the actors could have done better with some of the lines, but even so I felt like some of the scenes were just awkward anyway.  Other moments completely worked for me.

Speaking of working for me, I also really enjoyed some of Eric’s dad jokes.  Then again, I do love a good pun.

And, as we reached the climax, I found the pollen really was getting strong in my condo.  With all the windows closed.  It was the strangest thing.  I mean, I couldn’t have possibly been tearing up over the movie.

While the movie definitely has it’s weaknesses, I’m glad I watched A Christmas…Present.  If you are looking for a different plot for a Christmas movie, this is one to consider.

1 comment:

  1. I watched this movie when it first aired and I agree with your thoughts. I'm not Christian, but I can appreciate a faith-based storyline. I knew that it was going to be heavily faith-based before I watched it. I think all of the ones that Candace Cameron Bure does on GAC are going to faith-based. I loved her as Aurora Teagarden, but I'm not crazy about the few Christmas movies I've seen her in. The last one she did on Hallmark bordered on disastrous. A Christmas...Present was a better movie. (P.S. I laughed at your paragraph about the pollen effect. Those darn allergies! LOL.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.