Friday, July 21, 2023

Movie Review: A Kindhearted Christmas

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: The leads, charming story
Cons: Low budget production overall
The Bottom Line:
Secret Santa gifts
As new romance develops
Low budget with charm

“What’s Your Next Mission, Agent S.S.?”

I seem to have finally gotten into the Christmas movie trend this year (which probably means it is just about over).  Granted, I’ve been watching more Christmas movies on Great American Family than Hallmark.  Ironic, I know.  Anyway, the latest movie I watched was A Kindhearted Christmas, a movie I chose because of the leads.

This movie takes us to Cooperville and introduces us to Jamie (Jennie Garth), who runs a local tourist company.  It’s been a hard year for the town, and the community is looking like it is going to have to cut back on the Christmas festivities this year.  Jamie has some very specific Christmas traditions to honor her late husband, but she is challenged this year to try something new.  She does that by doing some secret acts of kindness to those she finds out about around her.

These acts of kindness attract the attention of the local TV station, including reporter Scott Morris (Cameron Mathison).  Jamie has long had a crush on Scott, so she is awkward when the two first meet.  However, the two quickly begin to fall for each other.  Can Jamie keep her secret from Scott?  Does she even want to?

For the most part, you probably pretty much know where this story is going from the beginning.  About the only real surprise for me is that neither character is really a Scrooge.  I kind of expected Scott to be a cynical reporter, but we quickly see that this isn’t the case.  So in this movie, we get to watch two kind people fall for each other.

The acts that Jamie preformed were truly heartwarming.  I enjoyed seeing how that evolved, although I did have to wonder how she had the money to do all she did.  Sorry, I’ll turn off the accountant part of my brain.

The chemistry between Jennie Garth and Cameron Mathison was strong.  It was a pleasure watching them spend time together.

However, I feel like the obstacles the movie put in their way, especially at the end, felt forced.  And I felt like something Scott did didn’t make sense with how he was behaving elsewhere.

Overall, the acting and writing was just okay.  You can tell this was low budget in just about every department.

But if you are looking for a light and charming Christmas movie and you don’t care as much about the production values, you’ll find you enjoy A Kindhearted Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.