Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Movie Review: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Everything
Cons: It ended
The Bottom Line:
High expectations
And this movie met them all
Narnia is real!





Confessions of a Narnia Fanatic


Ever since I first discovered Narnia in the third grade, I have loved this series of seven novels. While I have read through the series several times, this book remains my favorite and I have read it more then any other.

Naturally, when I first heard about The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I was excited. I tried to keep a healthy skepticism about me since so very few movies live up to their books, but I couldn't help it. I was counting the days until I got to see this. And I was not disappointed in the least.

Sticking fairly closely to the book, the story follows four siblings. Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are sent to the countryside to live with a professor while the Germans bomb London during World War II. While playing hide and seek one day, Lucy (Georgie Henley) hides in a wardrobe, only to find herself in a winter landscape. Exploring a little more, she meets a faun named Mr. Tumnus (James McAvoy). After serving her tea, he confesses his desire to turn her over to the evil White Witch (Tilda Swinton). The White Witch has turned his country of Narnia into a constant winter with no Christmas.

Naturally, her siblings don't believe a word Lucy says when she returns. A second trip with Edmund in tow doesn't help things. But when all four of them wind up in Narnia, they find themselves caught in an epic battle between good and evil where they are prophesied to free Narnia from the White Witch's reign with the help of the great lion Aslan (voice of Liam Neeson). But even if they can survive treachery in their own ranks, can four children really free Narnia?

The movie expertly captures the spirit of the book while making lots of changes. Those familiar with the original story will certainly notice a few changes already (hide and seek was the excuse the second time Lucy went, not the first), but these changes enhance the movie. This is especially true in the middle third. The trip from the Beaver's house to meet Aslan was much more harrowing in the movie and Edmund gets some extra scenes never dreamed of for the book. The changes were actually necessary to make the story work for the movie. Most of them help establish the changes the characters are going through, which is handled in the narration of the book. Obviously, that isn't an option for the movie.

As I said, these changes didn't bother me in the least. I was so caught up in the story I didn't care. The kids do an absolutely amazing job with the acting, especially since they are doing lots of acting to effects that won't be there until much later. Georgie Henley, the youngest as Lucy, especially does a good job, which is important since Lucy has to carry so much of the early story by herself. I was also quite satisfied with Aslan's voice. Liam Neeson brings the right mix of majesty with reality to the role. And Tilda Swinton's White Witch is equal parts creepy and evil without being over the top.

The effects were amazing as well. This movie could not have been made 5 years ago. While a few of the creatures might look a little fake to some, I want to know where they found the talking beasts. And the scenery, taken from locations all over the world but mostly New Zealand, was beautiful as well.

Even though the movie is rated PG, parents will want to take the rating seriously. There are several intense moments, especially the opening of London being bombed and the final battle. In keeping with the PG rating, the final battle is (thankfully) blood free, but it might be too intense for kids. Only you can judge for your family.

Every hope I had for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was met or exceeded. I hope they do all seven of the books. In the meantime, I can not wait to see this one again.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.