Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review: For Whom the Minivan Rolls by Jeffrey Cohen (Aaron Tucker #1)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Good story with a well developed main character
Cons: A little slow at times and humor a tad over done.
The Bottom Line:
Pace is slightly off
But the story is still fun
Laughs are plentiful




It Rolls for Thee

Stay at home father and freelance writer Aaron Tucker is surprised when he's asked to find a missing housewife. Surely there's someone better qualified them he is. But when he's offered a thousand dollars, how can he refuse? But when he follows the few leads he has, he keeps hitting dead ends. And the supposedly distraught husband is not co-operating at all. What is really going on? This gets even more complicated when Aaron finds a dead body. Now he feels he must figure things out if he's to know he and his family are safe.

I really enjoyed this debut novel. I did have a couple complaints, however. First, while I mostly enjoyed Aaron's sarcastic narration, occasionally it was over done. Second, I was getting as frustrated as he was by his lack of progress for a while. But half way through, the plot really picked up and the twists kept coming. At that point, I had a hard time putting it down and stayed up late last night to finish. I liked Aaron and his family, and it was nice to see a basically happy man struggling with the day-to-day trials of life in addition to the mystery. It really developed his character and made him someone I could relate to, even if I'm single.

If you enjoy the lighter side of mystery, For Whom the Minivan Rolls is definitely a book to check out. I'm already looking forward to spending more time with Aaron and his family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.