Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for March 22nd

It's Friday!  That means it's time for this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week's book is The Family Way, the twelfth Molly Murphy mystery by Rhys Bowen.

And this is how it all begins:

Satan finds work for idle hands to do.  That was one of my mother's favorite sayings if she ever caught me daydreaming or lying on my back on the turf, staring up at the white clouds that raced across the sky.  I could almost hear her voice, with its strong Irish brogue, as I sat on the sofa and sipped a glass of lemonade on a hot July day. 
Frankly, I rather wished that Satan would find me something to do with my idle hands because I was dying of boredom.

And, skipping ahead of page 56, we find:

"Was there something else, Mr. Wilkie?" I asked.  "I sensed when you came to lunch that important men like you don't take time out from a busy schedule to pay social calls on the wives of collegues for no reason at all."

Intrigued?  I just finished this book today, so here's my review of The Family Way.

11 comments:

  1. Both the beginning and 56 made me chuckle... sounds like a good book.

    My 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good book. Not quite as funny as these bits make it sound, but still fun.

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet but it's on my list.

    Here's my Friday MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear that voice in my head, too...the one about idle hands...lol.

    Thanks for sharing; the book looks tempting.

    Here's
    MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My second grade teacher loved to say it. I immediately identified with Molly when I read it.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a good book, I really wonder what else is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be something very important. What?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I told you two what was important, that would ruin the fun of the book, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 12 books already. I don't need to adopt another series, but now I want to find out more. I'll start with your review.

    Thanks for joining me on Book Beginnings!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly understand being overwhelmed by a series with a large backlog like this. But it really is worth it, I promise.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.