Friday, May 10, 2013

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for May 10th

Welcome to this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  This week, I'm working on Free Fall, the latest John Ceepak Mystery by Chris Grabenstein.

And it starts like this:

For a cop, there's nothing worse than hearing an old friend say "I didn't do anything, Danny!" two seconds after you pull her out of a nearly lethal cat fight.

Turning to page 56 we get.

"So?  I'm rich, remember?"
"Yes, ma'am."

This is the eighth in the series, and I'm enjoying seeing the characters again.  The book was a bit slow in the first third, but it's certainly picked up now.

6 comments:

  1. LOL at both snippets. Sounds like it's a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and this doesn't give you a feel for how great the two main characters are.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mark,

    This is a new author to me and having checked him out, I still can't decide whether his writing style is right for me, or not. I have recently started reading 'mystery capers', however this is not a genre that I would want to read on too regular a basis.

    Having said all that, if I had the book in my hand, those first lines would definitely make me want to read on.

    Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author's Riley Mack series for Middle Schoolers is more caper. This is a more serious police type mystery despite the humor and the resort setting.

      But the main characters are awesome. It's not more normal taste, but I can't get enough of those two.

      Delete
  3. My husband loves a good crime mystery series - I'll have to check out this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet he'd love this series, in that case. Start with Tilt-a-Whirl

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.