Friday, February 10, 2023

February 10th's Friday Post

Let's get a quick Friday post in, shall we?  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

It's been a while since I posted teasers from a Victoria Thompson novel, so for the first three, I'm featuring teasers from Murder on Wall Street.


Yes, I'm featuring a historical mystery two weeks in a row.  This one is set in New York City in 1900 and featured two main characters, Sarah and Frank Malloy.

As the book opens, Sarah is engaged in her sometimes occupation as a midwife.  (She's semi-retired now that the she and Frank are married.)  Which sets the scene for how the story opens:

"The baby seems to be in the right position, but you haven't dropped yet, so I think you have a while still to go."
Sarah Malloy managed a smile.  No woman in the last month of her pregnancy wanted to hear she still had a while to go, especially in July.

Page 56 jumps us into the mystery.  For this teaser, we are with Frank and his father-in-law, Felix Decker (Sarah's father), as they questioned a manager at the investment bank where someone died.

"Don't you have a night watchman?" Frank asked in amazement.
Plainly, Tarleton didn't like the questions, but he wasn't going to create more interest by refusing to answer.  "Of course we do, but he never saw anyone.  We believe Hayden admitted his visitor himself through the back door."
"So it was someone known to him," Mr. Decker marveled.
"I'm not sure we can assume that."  Which meant that the company wasn't going to admit that one of their customers or employees might have killed the boss's son.

Of course, a company wouldn't admit that.  But that leaves us wondering, just who did kill Hayden?

I really enjoyed this entry in a favorite series.  I'll be reviewing it next Friday, so I hope you'll come back then to read my review.

Let's finish things off with the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Do you enjoy reading romance novels? If so, which romance trope is your favorite?

I don't read pure romance, although most of the mysteries I read often have a strong romantic sub-plot that carries over from book to book.  I'm not sure I have a favorite trope, although I get tired of romantic triangles and misunderstandings that could obviously be wrapped up with a simple five minute conversation but are dragged out for the entire book.

Have a great weekend!

18 comments:

  1. This one looks interesting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to those opening lines :) I had my baby in September but the doctor said more or less the same to me. Not a thing you want to hear at that moment!


    My First Line Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good opening to the novel.

    I agree with you about disappointing romances. C'mon, just talk, people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a decent read, and I do love a NYC backdrop. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great teasers. This is a series I've been wanting to read but there are so many books and I'd want to start with #1. Still, I love the New York setting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New York in the early 1900's is one of my favorite settings. This sounds like a great read. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first line comes from Cold Light of Day by Elizabeth Goddard:
    Southeast Alaska. August
    Autumn Long had no plans to give up without a fight, even though it might be killing her a little every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great snippets! I love a good historical mystery. I've never read anything by Victoria Thompson. I think perhaps I should!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of the mystery. Especially as the main character is a midwife.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victoria Thompson is on my must read author list. I love historical mysteries!

    Romantic triangles do get tiresome and I agree about the drawn out misunderstandings. I always want to tell the characters, "Just talk to each other!"

    I hope you have a great weekend, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true how misunderstandings can often be wrapped up with a little communication. Have a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first comes from: My High School Is Cursed by Monica Rosehill

    The smell hit me first. It wasn’t an incredibly strong smell, Nor was it a bad smell. But it felt like breathing in a summer breeze. It was fresh and relaxing, warm and comforting, yet cool and otherworldly.

    Have a great Saturday Mark 😉

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m currently reading Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong. It’s fun!
    “We pay the day-use fee and get the indoor pool to ourselves for the moment.”
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great series--but I have a lot of catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree - a romance plot that relies on miscommunication or a lack of communication is a tough read

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Victoria Thompson's Counterfeit Lady series! I haven't read this series yet though. I'm just starting Bound by a Secret by Jolene Navarro. The first line is: "Greyson McKinsey rolled his neck and stared at the Texas sky above him." Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this series! And I remember really enjoying this one. I like the books involving Sarah's parents.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.