Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Movie Review: Send Me No Flowers

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Laughs and fun with this farce
Cons: Some of the comedy doesn’t translate well to the screen
The Bottom Line:
Overheard phone call
Comic misunderstandings
Fun and laughs on film



“I Did It.  I Went Out and Bought a Cemetery Plot.”  “Use It in Good Health.”

I didn’t know much about Send Me No Flowers before I sat down to watch it other than it was a Doris Day movie.  I pretty much guessed that meant it would be a romantic comedy, and I was definitely in the mood for something light and fun.  That’s what I got, although it didn’t quite live up to it’s potential.

George and Judy (Rock Hudson and Doris Day) are a happily married couple.  Well, George can be a bit exasperating with all his supposed medical conditions, but they are still basically happy.  However, things change when George goes to the doctor and misunderstands a conversation he overhears.  Now, George thinks he really is dying.

And that’s the set up for more comedic misunderstandings.  I could see some of them coming, but there were others I didn’t expect.  Despite the rather dark subject of something thinking he is dying, the movie has some very funny moments and lots of great one liners from this farcical situation.

The movie was adapted from a play.  I can see that, and I think this is another case where it would work better as a play.  While I did laugh at some of the situations and the dialogue, I think I would have found it even funnier if I’d been watching it with others.  You know that feeling when you are watching a comedy in a group, and the laughter is building all around you?  That’s what this movie needed to fully enjoy it.  Overall, I think farce works better as a play than a movie, too.  Again, that isn’t to say that I didn’t enjoy this movie.  I just feel like I missed some of the comedy.

I also feel like the performances were a little on the big side a few times.  It felt like they were trying to play up the farce, which would work on stage but doesn’t translate quite as well on screen.  But I’m being nitpicky here.

Overall, the performances were great.  This is the third time that Rock Hudson and Doris Day starred together, and their chemistry feels natural.  Rounding out the trio, Tony Randall joined once again joined them, this time playing their next-door neighbor and George’s best friend.  It’s a shame these three didn’t make more movies together because they play off each other perfectly.  The rest of the cast are just as strong, and everyone goes for some great physical comedy along the way.

And make no mistake about it, this movie is fun overall.  It really does find some unique laughs out of a potentially serious subject.  If I ever got the chance to see the play version, I’d jump on it.

The movie came out in the mid-60’s, and it certainly feels like it.  The style of the time is everywhere, and it dates it in a charming way.  On the other hand, it is rather funny when they obviously filmed some things in front of a screen.

While I think Send Me No Flowers would be best in a group, it is an enjoyable comedy no matter what size group you watch it in.  Next time you are in the mood for a farce, this is one to watch.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure I watched this many years ago. Now I want to watch it again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've watched this but I need to get it! I love Doris Day and Rock Hudson.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.