Friday, July 28, 2023

July 28th's Friday Post

We've made it to Friday again!  Although, it's going to be a crazy busy day at work since it's the start of our month end process tomorrow.  So I'd better get going on a Friday post.  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

My teasers for the first three for this week are coming from The Body in the Cattails by Catherine Dilts.


It's been several years since Catherine Dilts had a new book come out.  This is the first in a new series from her.  It's set in Oklahoma, and I'm LOVING it.  I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I'm dreading finishing because I'm not going to want to leave these characters behind until book 2 comes out.

Here's the opening:

"Mom, did you leave the door open?"  Parker was tall for eight, but thin as a reed.  He look vulnerable with his curly dark hair backlit by light seeping through the crack in the door.  A door that had been closed.

Isn't that a great opening?  It definitely grabbed my attention.

I want to share a longer quote from page 56.  I really do.  But it hits spoiler territory (although I wouldn't call anything there that surprising for a cozy mystery), so I'll just share this one sentence:

To Makenzie, the burglary represented a violation of the sanctity of small-town life.

The plan is to finish this book on Friday and then review it next Thursday.  Of course, I've written none of my reviews for next week yet.  You can guess what I'll be doing this weekend.  Will I have my review written in time?  Stop by next week to find out!

But let's end this post with the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Do you enjoy reading memoirs?

Obviously, if you've spent any time here you've seen that I mainly read mysteries.  Having said that, I have enjoyed the memoirs I've read, and there are several more I want to read.  I just need to find the time to read them.

Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. That opening is fascinating, with the closed door and the light shining through... I'm gripped! I like memoirs in a technical sense, like, they have almost everything I am interested in, but I usually find I just can't make my way through them. I drop out at some point and then never go back. Maybe I'll give them another try this summer! I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. That intro is very intriguing. The book sounds like my cup of tea. Memoirs are not something I read very often at all, but the ones I have read have been pretty good. Have a great weekend, Mark ☕🌞📚

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the start to a great series!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I'm just starting Voice of the Ancient by Connilyn Cossette. So excited to read this book!
    "The enemy grinned at me, tipping his chin upward as he slapped a flat palm to his chest, daring me to attack again."
    I hope you have an excellent weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good book. There are so many books on my TBR in various genres. But the cozy mysteries win me over most of the time. Have a great day and weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are finding joy in this book. I know how hard it is to leave favorite characters behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this book. It sounds really good and a great opening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds good and this isn't an author I'm familiar with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, that opening does immediately grab you!! Glad to hear it is as good as it started out. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great! Glad to hear that you're enjoying it. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.