Thursday, August 3, 2023

Book Review: The Body in the Cattails by Catherine Dilts (Rose Creek Mysteries #1)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Charming characters and a strong mystery
Cons: None in sight
The Bottom Line:
Book club and body
Filled with charming characters
Can’t wait to see more



Come Make New Friends and Solve a Murder

It’s been several years since I’ve read something Catherine Dilts has written, and I probably would have missed The Body in the Cattails if she hadn’t reached out asking me to review it.  I’m so glad she did because I loved this book.

This is the first in the Rose Creek Mysteries, set in a small Oklahoma town.  Drew Brauner has recently moved there from Boston with her son.  She’s struggling to make some friends.  That changes when she decides to go to the first meeting for the new Rose Creek Reads Book Club.  She immediately hits it off with the other women there, which is nice since it helps her forget about her home being burgled the night before.

But their night ends on a sour note when they find a dead body floating in Rose Creek just behind the book store.  The victim worked with one of Drew’s new friends, and the results of the autopsy could spell disaster for the area.  Can these women figure out what is really going on?

While I focused on Drew in my teaser, there are four members of the book club, and they are all central characters in the story.  In fact, we get scenes from all of their points of view.  Don’t worry, there are always clear scene breaks when that happens.  It’s all a great way to show us everything happening since all four of the women play an important part in the plot.  Additionally, they all have their own storylines.

If this is all starting to sound like a lot, it isn’t.  It’s just right.  I was never overwhelmed as I read, but there was always something that pulled me further into the story.  I also appreciated that, with four main characters, we got to spread out some of the cozy mystery tropes, which was refreshing.

I also really enjoyed watching these characters become friends.  Yes, you can feel the bonds by the end of the book, but even the characters know these are new friendships they are starting to treasure.  I’m sure there is lots more to explore as the series progresses.

With all this talk about the characters, you might think I’m going to say something about the plot being slow.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I was hooked early and couldn’t wait to see just how the book club would prove what they thought was going on.  When we get to the climax, it becomes a page turner.  I loved how it played out.

This is one of those books that you don’t want to end because you don’t want to leave the characters behind.  Heck, I didn’t even want to set the book down I was already so invested in their lives and the mystery.

The Body in the Cattails was utterly charming.  I’m already looking forward to visiting these women again in the next book in the series.  If you are looking a fun cozy series to start, be sure to pick this book up.

NOTE: I received a copy of this book.

5 comments:

  1. Mark, I am so happy you enjoyed my book! Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review I have never read anything by her before. It sounds like I might have found a new author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover and title of this book caught my attention because the scene looks a little like the pond where I take my walks, complete with the cattails! Sounds like this book is a good mix of character development and plot development. I love when that happens. I'll have to add this to my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when characters really come alive for me and I don't want to see the last page. This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely put this on my TBR list…it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.