Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Novella Review: Gingerbread Cookies and Gunshots by Leslie Meier

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Good characters in a serious Christmas mystery
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Christmas kidnapping
Can Lucy solve with few clues?
Serious yet good



Missing Child at Christmas

I’ve mainly read Leslie Meier’s stories that were included in anthologies I was reading.  That’s how I read Gingerbread Cookies and Gunshots, which I enjoyed.

Leslie’s main character, Lucy Stone, gets involved when a four-year-old boy is kidnapped in her community.  With no clues to go on, Lucy begins to think that something much larger is happening.  Is she right?

I didn't have any trouble jumping into the characters here.  There was enough explanation of who people were that I could follow along.  The bits about those I assume are series regulars didn't mean quite as much to me, but I enjoyed meeting everyone.  This is on the serious side of the cozy spectrum, and the atmosphere was carried perfectly throughout the story.  Lucy did seem to jump to one conclusion, but since she was proved right with evidence later on, I can't call it a major flaw.  There are two recipes at the end of this story to enjoy later.  This is probably my favorite of the stories I’ve read from Leslie Meier.

Do keep in mind that this is a novella, so roughly about the third of the length of a full novel. 

This was originally the final story in the Gingerbread Cookie Murder anthology, so you might want to check if you’ve already read it before you but it again.

Either way, if you want a more serious short Christmas mystery, you’ll be glad you picked up Gingerbread Cookies and Gunshots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.