Sunday, April 7, 2013

Monthly Reading Recap - March 2013

It's that time again - time to list and link to what I actually read in March.  Links will take you to my full review here on the site.


CANA RISING by Dinah Swan - 3
Mary Alice Tate, recently divorced, is moving back to her small home town in Mississippi.  She's started volunteering with the local women's shelter, and her new friend and charge is accused of murder.  Can Mary Alice free her?  I liked Mary Alice, but I had a hard time liking most of the rest of the cast.  The pace also dragged in a few spots.

RED VELVET CUPCAKE MURDER by Joanne Fluke - 4
Hannah's back and this time baking cupcakes to celebrate the grand reopening of a local hotel turned condos.  But when a woman falls from the penthouse during the party, Hannah begins to investigate.  Those who love the series will enjoy the latest entry.  It's the usual mix of baking and murder and even wraps up some loose ends from the last book.

THE SILENT GHOST by Sue Ann Jaffarian - 5
This fun between the books e-novella focuses on Kelly, the daughter of the main character.  She's just beginning to develop her gift of seeing and speaking to ghosts, but she gets involved in a mystery when a woman approaches her and asks if Kelly can figure out if the woman's condo is haunted.  Will Kelly solve the mystery?  I found it fun to see a minor character from the series take a larger role in this book, and Granny is a hoot as always.  I just wish it had been longer.

THE FAMILY WAY by Rhys Bowen - 4
Molly is visiting her mother-in-law to try to escape the heat when she starts on the trail of a missing Irish immigrant.  Can Molly find her, or will her pregnancy keep her home and safe?  The plot was uneven, although it got better as the book progressed.  And I am really tired of the usual conflict with Molly's now husband Daniel.  Please, give him something else to do in the books!

JONI & KEN: AN UNTOLD LOVE STORY by Ken and Joni Eareckson Tada with Larry Libby - 5
Despite the authors mentioned, a third person written biography that looks at the struggles this couple have gone through over the years dealing with Joni's paralysis and all that means.  I found it really powerful, and God really used it to speak to me.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.