Monday, April 22, 2013

What's On My Nightstand - April 2013

I almost forgot that it's time again for What's on Your Nightstand as hosted by the wonderful people at 5 Minutes for Books.

I actually have finished two books in the last couple of days.  That's because I was so anxious to read The Last Musketeer: Double Cross by Stuart Gibbs that I set aside the short story collection I was reading to devour it.  It is the final part of a trilogy and completely enjoyable.  A Middle Grade novel, it takes a modern teen and makes him part of the Three Musketeers.  I know little about the characters from the original novel, but I greatly enjoyed these three adventures.  This last one was certainly a page turner.

Then I headed back to finish up Death Dines In, which I did tonight (review forth coming).  It's a collection of mystery short stories with a food theme.  That means lots of poison and a couple of food allergies as the weapon of choice.  With one exception  I enjoyed the stories here.  A few felt like they rushed the ending, but those were minor points.  And the exception?  It will take the book down from 4 stars to 3.  Yes, I really did find it that tasteless.

Tomorrow, I will be starting a new book, The Baker Street Translation by Michael Robertson.  This is the third in a series about two brothers who rent law offices at 221B Baker Street.  Part of their job is answering the mail that comes addressed to Sherlock Holmes.  And it has gotten them involved in three mysteries now. I enjoyed the first two, so I can't wait to dive into this one.

14 comments:

  1. These sound good, especially the Baker St. one. I enjoy a good mystery if it's not too scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the mysteries I read aren't too scary, and the Baker St. series is especially fun.

      Delete
  2. The first and last ones sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first is, and I expect the last to be. I enjoyed the short story collection for the most part. It's just the one story that was so awful.

      Delete
  3. I know very little about the original Three Musketeers but the trilogy you mention sounds intriguing.

    The Baker Street Translation sounds good as well. All things Sherlock Holmes are definitely in season again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an intriguing trilogy.

      Considering I've read maybe three stories or so, I've read a lot of Holmes themed books in the last few years.

      Delete
  4. Baker Street sounds fun! nice reviews!

    Lisa @ http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com/2013/04/whats-on-your-nightstand-april-showers.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. So far, I'm liking it, and the first two were good.

      Delete
  6. My mom has read the Three Musketeers series and enjoyed it a lot--I might have to try reading both the originals and the teen trilogy. Then again, my TBR list grows much more quickly than I can read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I want to read the original, but these were sure fun.

      Delete
  7. :D Well, thank you for saying we're wonderful people. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.