Friday, November 11, 2016

November 11th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

First of all, I want to wish all the Veterans and Happy Veterans Day.  Thank you for your service to our country.

And so, for a holiday edition of Book Beginnings and Friday 56, I present Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled by Dorothy Gilman.

                                                             


It would have been cool if this book involved vets in some way, but I didn't think about that in time to plan my reading.  Instead, this is the final book in one of my favorite series, and I just reread it.  My review will be up soon right here if you are interesting in learning more about it.
But for now, here's how the book begins:

Mrs. Pollifax was feeling bored and rather left out of life.

That's not an unusual way for a book in this series to begin.  But it also brings a smile to my face since I know that is about to change.  It's usually about the time that Carstairs from the CIA calls and offers this part time spy a job.  And this book is no different.  (And yes, I did steal my user name from this series.)

And where a job for the CIA goes, trouble always follows.  For example, on page 56, we find this:

Suddenly, Mrs. Pollifax said, "Farrell, no...!"
It was too late.

And that's the tease for this week.  Have a great weekend, and if you have a long weekend, have a great long weekend.

5 comments:

  1. ah dear Mrs Pollifax, I have so enjoyed every book of the series - in audio they are awesome with Barbara Rosenblat as the narrator. I was thrilled to discover she had also narrated A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, part of my list for The Classics Club. listening to it right now. my post today is: https://wordsandpeace.com/2016/11/11/book-beginnings-and-teaser-tuesday-the-other-einstein/. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to know more about Mrs. Pollifax. Like, how is she so wrapped up in any CIA stuff?! :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Pollifax is the series that started my sister on cozies, which then led to my love of the genre! I'd love for you and your readers to check out my 56 & BB ... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsACITS

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds interesting- but not exactly my type. Hope you enjoy!

    Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-569548264

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.