Saturday, November 5, 2016

Ornament Review: Winter Fun with Snoopy #5 - Snowboard - 2002 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Snoopy obviously having fun snowboarding
Cons: Some might not like the patriotic coloring, but I do
The Bottom Line:
Caught mid snowboard run
Snoopy, Woodstock having fun
In great winter piece




Patriotic Snoopy Snowboarding Down the Hill

I’ve confessed a couple of times recently how badly my one attempt at skiing went.  Couple that with my horrible sense of balance, and you can imagine just how excited I get about snowboarding.  And yet, that is the subject of the fifth Winter Fun with Snoopy ornament.  And I have to say I really do like it.

Instead of sticking with a Christmas theme, Snoopy went with a patriotic theme this year.  He’s wearing a hat that has red, white, and blue stripes on it.  He’s got a red scarf, and a blue tint to his goggles.  His board is red and white striped and in the back there is a blue area with a white star in it.  I’m guessing this was to tie in to the Winter Olympics, which had been held earlier that year.  I actually like it because it adds a different touch to the series.

Of course, Snoopy is having fun as he races downhill.  His arms are out and he has a smile on his face.  No surprise that his pal Woodstock is along for the ride; he’s sitting on the front of the board.

One thing I really like about this ornament is how it is designed to make it look like we caught Snoopy in mid-trip down the hill.  Snoopy is obviously looking forward, as you can tell by the scarf flying out behind him.

In keeping with this, the ornament tips forward slightly when you hang it.  While I would normally knock an ornament for tipping, in this case I think it is perfect since it adds to the illusion of Snoopy snowboarding downhill.

The snowboard Snoopy is standing on is nice and flat, so you could set the ornament out to be displayed.  However, it doesn’t have quite the same mid-run appeal when the ornament is level.  It’s a definitely trade off.  Of course, you’ll find the 5 in a Christmas tree on the bottom of the ornament.  It’s a little hard to read since the paint job from the snowboard is carried over to the bottom side, but I love that since it makes the board look that much more real.

Even though I haven’t been snowboarding, I certainly appreciate this addition to the Winter Fun with Snoopy series.  And if you enjoy the sport, you’ll definitely want to pick this one up.

If you enjoy winter, you'll want to see the rest of the Winter Fun with Snoopy ornaments.

Original Price: $6.95

2 comments:

  1. I love Snoopy! I have several ornaments featuring him. This would be a good one to add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are miniature ornaments, but I'm really appreciating these very small ornaments anew this year.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.