Sunday, July 16, 2023

July 16th's Sunday/Monday Post

 Time again for a Sunday/Monday post, where I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I was out of town again this last weekend, but this time it was more localish.  At least within the same state, although given how large California is, that isn't saying much.  I was visiting a friend who has moved back home to the middle of California near the coast.  We did a little touring around that area, which was beautiful.  It was nice to catch up with him.

Before that, I went to see the musical Into the Woods.  The latest revival cast was mostly reprising their rolls for the tour, and they started here in California.  It was wonderful!  If you are a fan of the musical and get a chance to see this cast, I highly recommend you go.

This last weekend, I hit a milestone on my blog.  I hit 3 million lifetime hits.  Granted, I've had the blog for ten and a half years now, but still, I was very happy about hitting that milestone.

That was all stuff I would have talked about last week; what about this week?  The big news so far is that Saturday morning was ornament premier at Hallmark.  I stopped by and got some ornaments.  This is despite my saying I'm going to cut back.  No, really, I mean it.  You can expect to start seeing reviews for 2023 ornaments pop up on the blog.  Wednesday will be my first one, in fact.

And Saturday is game day.  I'm late as it is, so let's get to the rest of this so I can get out of here.

This Last Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Podcast Review: Pod Meets World
Monday - Short Story Review: The Ghost of Christmas Granny by Sue Ann Jaffarian
Tuesday - Movie Review: Summertime Switch
Wednesday - Book Review: Murder at the Majestic Hotel by Clara McKenna
Thursday - Movie Review: A Merry Christmas Wish
Friday - Friday Post featuring Death in a Pale Hue
Friday - Book Review: Teacher's Threat by Diane Vallere
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Movie Review: Muncie Strikes Back
Tuesday - Book Review: Death in a Pale Hue by Susan van Kirk
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Pirate Snoopy
Thursday - Book Review: Paint Me a Crime by Holly Yew
Friday - Movie Review: A Kindhearted Christmas
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Yes, I've got an art center theme going for my book reviews this week.

Book Haul:

It's been two weeks, so of course, I have six books to tell you about.


Let's start out with a couple of ARCs.  I snagged my Netgalley copy of Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas by Vicki Delaney.  I love Christmas, and I've always enjoyed this Year Round Christmas series.  Glad to see it back with a new publisher.  I'm looking forward to revisiting the characters.

I also got an ARC for Hanging by a Thread, the second Sewing Studio Mystery by Dorothy Howell.  I struggled a bit with the first book, but I'm hoping now that the first book set up is finished, it will settle in a bit and this book will be better.  Obviously, I enjoyed the first book enough to give the series a second chance.

From the library, I got the audio version of The House Guest by Hank Phillippi Ryan.  I was actually surprised I could since it just came out a few months ago.  I've actually already listened to this one - I listened to it mostly while I was driving to visit my friend last weekend.

Suitable for Framing by Lori Roberts Herbst has crossed my radar a couple of times.  It went on sale, so I decided to snag it.

The same was true for Booked to Death by Victoria Gilbert.

Unlike these other two, A Brush with Murder by Gail Langer Karwoski wasn't on my radar before it was free a few days ago.  I wished I'd had it earlier to work into my art themed reading week, but it looked good, and I can't pass up a bargain.

Sadly, it looks like none of those books are on sale any more.  So I can't pass on my deals to you.

What I'm Currently Reading:

Friday night, I finished up Paint Me a Crime by Holly Yew.  Now, I need to get my review written if I'm going to be able to post it Thursday like I've planned.

Technically, I've started my next book, Murder at a London Finishing School by Jessica Ellicott.  As I'm writing this, I'm exactly one chapter in, so I have a ways to go yet.  I'm working on an ARC of this historical mystery, which comes out in just over a week.  It's set in England in the 1920's.  I usually enjoy the books, so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Have a great week!

20 comments:

  1. It's always nice to see old friends after not seeing them for a while.

    3 million lifetime hits, wow, congratulations!

    I love buying new ornaments, do you have the pickle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the 3 million! I have the eArc for Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas and am so excited to see the series get at least another book. Can't wait to see the ornaments for 2023! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging for 10+ years is impressive but hitting 3mil views is even more so. Congrats!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the milestone! I've also been at it for almost that time but don't think I'm anywhere near that amount of views xD It really shows all the hard work you've put into your blog! I also still want to read 'The House Guest', it's been on my list for ages! I hope you have a good week :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 million lifetime hits is fantastic. I love how many hits book blogs get, where the people are from, etc. I love looking at the analytics map and thinking about who all those people are and how they found our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the 3 million lifetime hits! I have to get back to reading the Year Round Christmas series. I read the first couple of books and enjoyed them. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice updates!! Congratulations on a million hits, that is impressive! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a pretty good week! Murder at the Majestic sounds good, even if it had a few issues- love the covers on that series :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I'm very impressed with 3 million lifetime hits! I just hit half of that, and I've been blogging for fifteen years, so well done, Mark!

    You always are able to do so much reading, and your books look like fun. You deserve more Hallmark ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your milestone! I saw Into the Woods at a local dinner theater years ago. I loved it. Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your milestone! That is so cool. My sister and I saw Into the Woods at our local theater earlier this year. Loved it. Hope you enjoy your book haul.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/07/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_0459622949.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, very impressive, Mark. Have a great week 🌞☕πŸ“šπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  13. With that many hits over the years, you could monetize your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've been very busy. How were the temperatures on the California Coast? We've been hearing that it is hot even in San Fran. Glad you are busy and having a wonderful summer.

    I got a late start on Sunday Salon this week. Here is my post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your milestone. It must be a milestone week. I just passed 5000 published posts. As usual, your books look great. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on a million hits.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on 3 million hits! I've been blogging for nearly 10 years, but I haven't hit that number yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks (?) to you I now have 4 new Hallmark ornaments for my tree. Must stop buying them. Must. Eager for your review on Pirate Snoopy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought Florida was long but I checked and California is almost twice as long. I'm glad you got to visit friends.
    So many good looking books in your new haul. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That Christmas title is hilarious! Are you going to read these soon, or wait for colder days? I can't wrap my brain into reading Christmas books in July, though I have seen Netgalley advertising those last week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.