Sunday, July 2, 2023

July 2nd's Sunday/Monday Post

It's that time of the week, time for a Sunday/Monday Post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I was out of town last weekend.  I went to visit a friend in New York City.  He's moved there recently, and I'd never been.  We did typical touristy stuff like the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, which was fascinating.  Sunday, we did hit a few of the more unusual tourist locations, Bank Street (from Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries) and Patchin Place (from Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy Mysteries), both inspired by two historical mysteries series I read.  I loved getting to see them in person as they are today.  Pretty easy to imagine what they would be like 120 years ago, when the books are set.  We also hit up Central Park.

Other than that, it's been the usual at work.  I'm sticking around town this weekend since I have to work on Monday before taking Tuesday off.  It's always weird when the 4th of July falls in the middle of a week since that's the only holiday we take off on the actual day of the holiday.  Not that I have any plans for Tuesday - at least at this point.  And, with how little reading I've gotten done today, I might need to spend the entire day catching up.

Yep, I'm still feeling a bit of burn out, even with my trip out of town last weekend.

Blog Spam Comment of the Week:

I got a kick out of this one.  Copied and pasted as I got it, all grammar and spelling are theirs.  (And yes, it started out with a link that I never followed.)

an awosome blog plz contunue I really appreciate your efforts which you have done and shared here as a knowledgeable form. The blog is very informative and the way you described and points you have mentioned. Thank you keep blogging.

This Past Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Book Review: Happily Ever After by James Riley
Monday - Movie Review: Teacher's Pet
Tuesday - Book Review: Hiss Me Deadly by Miranda James
Wednesday - TV Show Review: Quantum Leap (Reboot) - Season 1
Thursday - Book Review: Charlotte Illes is Not a Detective by Katie Siegel
Friday - June Reading Summary
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Book Review: The Last Orphan by Gregg Hurwitz
Tuesday - Happy Independence Day!
Wednesday - Book Review: Gone but Not Forgotten by C. Michele Dorsey
Thursday - Movie Review: Catering Christmas
Friday - Book Review: Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

I thought about going to a few bookstores while in New York City, but I didn't wind up doing that.  There wasn't time, and I was more interested in seeing the sites I can't see at home than in going to a book store which I can do at home.  (Am I allowed to admit that as a book blogger?)  I did go to the old New York Public Library building, which was fun.  But I didn't buy any books there.

Of course, I do have some new books to tell you about.  It's been two weeks since my last post, after all.

The first is Death on the Grand Canal by M.A. Monnin.  This is the second in her Intrepid Traveler Mysteries, and the first was one of my favorite reads of 2022, so I'm really looking forward to it.  She sent me a copy with no pressure for a review date, which I appreciate.  I'm aiming for August.

Next up is my pre-order of Paint Me a Crime by Holly Yew.  Not only is this the first in a series, but it's also the author's debut.  And she's got another series debuting later this year under a different name.  It sounds fun, and I'm actually planning to get to this one soon.

Finally comes Dogged by Death by Laura Scott.  This was on sale in ebook in the last couple of weeks, so I grabbed it.  It sounds good, and as we've established, I can't say no to a cheap ebook.

What I'm Currently Reading:

Or more like what I'm not reading.  I had plans to read on Saturday, and they just didn't happen.  So I'm still only 15 pages into my current book, which is Murder at the Majestic Hotel by Clara McKenna.  I just needed a lazy day, I guess.  It's definitely not the book since this is book four in her Stella and Lyndy Mysteries, and I've been dying to get to this book for months.  I'm sure I'll be back on the reading train Sunday.

Meanwhile, I did enjoy "The Ghost of Christmas Granny" by Sue Ann Jaffarian yesterday.  Since it's a short story, I was able to read it all in one day.

Have a great week!

26 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip. I think hitting up book related places in NYC would be cool. And I love that cover of the McKenna title.That art style always gets me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're able to recharge, and the burnout fades more. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always fun to visit book locations!And New York is such a fun place to visit!

    Have a great week..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a native New Yorker and always love playing tourist. How fun to then read a mystery set in historical NY? Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to visit your friend in NY. I haven’t been yet but definitely want to visit one day. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you got to go to NYC, it's an amazing place and it sounds like you got a good sense of the city. I love that you saw scenes from books you've read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to New York state countless times, but never to New York City. I would really like to go at some point. To visit all those bookish places you mentioned!

    I hope you have a good week. I have to work Tuesday, but hopefully it will be quiet. I never know though--so many people out partying, illegal fireworks, and in the pool or lake means more accidents and more emergencies.

    Take care, Mark! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got to visit New York! So cool that you got to visit some of the locations in those books, too! Living on the East Coast, I have been to New York many times. It's always been a favorite place of mine to visit. When I was working, I used to love having days off in the middle of the week. That didn't apply to July 4th because I was a teacher who was usually off in the summer, but when Jewish holidays fell in the middle of the week, I loved how it broke up the week. I can see how long weekends are preferable to many people, though. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to visit New York City! Your trip sounds fabulous! I can relate to your burnout. I’m glad you had a fun trip, though!
    You find the best deals on e-books! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only been to New York City a few times, but it was a great experience each time. It was a shock to see billboards there for books! I think you chose wisely in visiting the spots inspired by two historical mysteries series.

    Death on the Grand Canal sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit NYC some day in the future! That's wonderful you went!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great that you visited sites related to books that you've read. What a terrific way to make a trip truly your own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you were able to visit NYC and some sites you had heard about from books. I love visiting places I have learned about in books. I live an hour and a half from NYC and go about once a year or so. I love to see everything and explore the museums etc. It's a fun place to visit and then I love to come home to peace and quiet in my small town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started Death on the Grand Canal and like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always wanted to visit NYC. Maybe someday. Interesting spam!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fun trip. I've never been to NYC and have always wanted to go. You get such interesting Spam comments! Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. NYC is such a fun trip. Glad you enjoyed it. The library is impressive. Do you see Grand Central Station?

    You've been a busy blogger as well. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great trip! I haven't been back to New York in almost 30 years. And that was just a quick trip to see Phantom of the Opera; we didn't have time for sight-seeing, and both of us had been there previously. Maybe I should plan another trip sometime... but crowds are really not my thing these days. Still, I'd love to see the NYPL, catch a few shows on Broadway and maybe an opera or ballet, wander Central Park, and go to some of the museums that I haven't visited since my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you enjoy the 4th whatever you do or don't do. New York visit sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE everything about NYC! I have plans to go back again next year with my two boys, oldest boys wife, kids & their S.O.'s.



    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a great trip to NY. I like that you visited the book settings too! Your Ghost of Christmas Granny reminds me I want to read a couple of Christmas books in July. Hope you have a good Fourth even if it is quiet. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're definitely a book blogger, because your idea of a lazy day is one where you're NOT reading!
    I always like to visit the library while traveling. I bought some cheap e-books a while ago (books 1 & 2 in a series) and when I went to read the first one, I couldn't find it in any of my e-book apps, although I could have sworn I could picture it on an e-book shelf somewhere on my iPad. (I still haven't found it!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Clearly you spam comment wasn't written by someone who has mastered English. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Traveler Mysteries? Sound good, especially in summer - I mean for cheap vacation, lol. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun trip and I love that you got in some locations from the Gaslight mysteries and the Rhys Bowen series. I hope you were able to get some rest and are feeling refreshed and not as burnt out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun to go to NY and visit places mentioned in books! That's the kind of sightseeing I would like to do if I ever get to visit New York.

    It really is weird having a day off on a Tuesday. It felt...wrong. lol Can't we establish the first Monday in July as the official day to observe the holiday? And just go with "Independence Day" instead of "4th of July"?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.