Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Movie Review: Inheritance Lost - The Jane Mysteries

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great new characters in an engaging mystery
Cons: Some of Jane’s actions are very questionable
The Bottom Line:
Fifteen-year-old case
Jane honors late uncle’s wish
Great start to franchise


“I’m Just Trying to Help.”

Being a fan of Full House and Fuller House (although I still need to watch the final season of that show), I was thrilled to see Jodie Sweetin start her own mystery franchise on the Hallmark Channel.  Inheritance Lost, the first Jane Mystery, proved to be a lot of fun.

Jane da Silva (Jodie Sweetin) is living in Paris and working as a singer until she gets word that her uncle has passed away.  She returns to Baltimore to be with her aunt Sadie (Paris Jefferson), and discovers that her uncle has named her as the head of his retirement project – a foundation that looks into old cases for those who need help and answers.

While Jane is still trying to figure out what to do about this, she meets a young client.  Lia (Danielle Smith) is a teen who wants to find out what happened to her mother who died fifteen years ago.  Officially, it was ruled a suicide, but Lia isn’t satisfied with that.  Then there’s the mystery of the inheritance that Lia’s mother had gotten not too long before she died.  With the help of homicide detective John Cameron (Stephen Huszar), can Jane figure out what happened?

This was a solid mystery to start the franchise.  I was very interested in what Jane was uncovering.  She is very green as an investigator, and made some very rookie mistakes.  Some might fault her for this, but I’m willing to let it slide here since she seemed to recognize the mistakes after she’d made them.  Hopefully, this is the kind of thing she will learn from so we won’t see as much of it going forward.  Anyway, Jane does put the pieces together at the end and reach a satisfying solution.

One aspect that was very fun is that Aunt Sadie also used to be a performer.  As a result, she has a huge collection of costumes that Jane uses at various times in the investigation.  I loved seeing what she’d pop up in next.

We also got a few snippets of Jodie Sweetin singing.  She’s not known for her singing, but she definitely should be.  Hope we see more of that in the future as well.

For a Hallmark movie, this film was refreshingly light on cheese.  Jodie leads things with a strong presence, and the writing is good, giving the actors quite a bit to work with.  I recognized Stephen Huszar from another Hallmark mystery franchise, one I struggled to watch.  He was great here, proving that the writing can often have a lot to do with how the actors come across.

I definitely hope that this is the start of a long running mystery franchise for Hallmark.  Inheritance Lost was a good introduction to characters I already love and can’t wait to see again.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I heard about it but didn't have a chance to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched it I really enjoyed it and she can sing beautifully. Check it I think you will like it to.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely loved it. Jodie is a natural singer and pulls the audience in with her seductive songs and playful acting style.

      Delete
    3. She only sang for a few seconds but it really got my attention.
      I was disappointed it didn't last.

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun to see Jodi Sweetin in something not Full House related. I love the premise of this and definitely need to give it a try. I've gotten out of the habit of checking Hallmark so thanks for the heads up! This looks like my kind of movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one too. It's my favorite movie of the year so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review...I loved Jodie, she is an actress I follow since her young years in FULL HOUSE, but I was very interested in the role of the young teenager who starts the whole procedure of the plot. What is the name of this actress? Danielle Smith is not correct...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the name listed on IMDB. If that's not her name, I don't know what it is. Sorry.

      Delete
  5. Just watch! Very good movie. Hope there are many more. Don't take too long. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the title and who is the author of the song she sings in the beginning and end of the movie “love is a mystery, written in our history….”

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.