Monday, March 24, 2014

Book Review: Let the Storm Break by Shannon Messenger (Sky Fall #2)



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Strong leads in a whirlwind of a story
Cons: Having to wait for book three
The Bottom Line:
Vane, Audra return
Another engaging book
Read with gale force speed



You'll Race Through This Storm

I pretty much skipped the young adult section of the bookstore growing up.  I keep reading middle grade until I started reading adult novels (although it's hard to say I've completely given up on middle grade novels).  While I'm not super familiar with that particular department, I am hooked on the Sky Fall series by Shannon Messenger.  Let the Storm Break is the second in her series, and it was wonderful.

This is a fantasy story, and Vane and Audra, our two main characters, are hot human but another race that can control the wind.  Their race is in a civil war, and they are caught in the middle.  This is especially true of Vane, who holds something that the other side needs and even the good guys want to exploit.

But really, don't jump in here.  It's all much better explained by reading the first book in the series.  You'll be anxious to read this one before you know it.

It's been almost a month since Audra left Vane, although the pull of their bond is strong for both of them.  Vane is trying to cover with the Guardians about why she left, knowing they will not approve of the truth.  Meanwhile, he is having trouble sleeping.  Every time he does, he has nightmares that are harder and harder to break.  For her part, Audra is running, chasing, heck even she doesn't know.  But she is trying to come to grips with her actions and recent revelations as well.

However, the threat from Raiden keeps growing, and Vane and Audra are in his crosshairs.  Will they be able to keep their secrets from him?  Will they even survive their next confrontation?

This book is told in alternating first person chapters from Vane and Audra's viewpoints.  This gives us their sides of the tale as things are starting out and some insight into what each are thinking as the story unfolds.  It's an interesting device that works very well here.

And I've got to say I really do like the characters.  Vane and Audra are the strongest, obviously, but the rest of the cast feels real to me as well.  It makes it so much easier to get lost in the storm, I mean story, when you care like I did here.  There is a strong romance between Vane and Audra, and I loved how their relationship moved forward here.  There was some natural angst, but that wasn't the focus of things, which was refreshing.

For the first 50 pages or so, I was enjoying getting reacquainted with the characters and the world they inhabit.  Then things too off and I fairly raced through the rest of the 380 page novel.  You might say I was bonded to the book as I was thinking about it even after I'd put it down.  I'd come back to sneak in a couple of pages if I couldn't sit and read for an hour.  The pages just flew by.

Unfortunately, the book has a big problem.  THE NEXT ONE ISN'T OUT YET!!!!!!  I was expecting something like what happened at the end, at least the broad outline not the details as they unfolded.  Even thought I saw the big picture coming, I am so ready for the next book to be out so I can find out what happens next.

So if you are looking for some light fantasy and romance with a strong plot, you'll love Let the Storm Break.  I will be missing these characters until I can catch up with their next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.