Friday, July 25, 2014

July 25th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Time again for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  Yep, it's almost the weekend!

Usually, I just go with my current read, but this week, I've finished two books (one humorous mystery and one middle grade book) and am reading a third (another middle grade book).  So I did give it a little thought.  Still, I decided to go with the humorous mystery, The Good, the Bad, and the Emus by Donna Andrews.




This is the latest in the long running Meg Langslow mysteries with feature Meg and her wacky collection of family and friends.  This time, they are going on an emu hunt and learning more about a long lost branch of the family tree.

And it all starts with this:

"Be careful!" I said, looking up from the boxwood hedge I was pruning.  "We don't want another trip to the emergency room.  We've used up our family quota for the week."

Jumping ahead of page 55 (Page 56 only has a couple of lines on it.), we find:

I shut my eyes for a moment.  Apparently, Grandfather was also going to film the emu roundup for another of his popular Animals in Peril documentaries.

Want to learn more?  I finished this one early enough in the week that my review is already posted.

18 comments:

  1. I bet that would be a fun film to see. Especially after she cautions of an emergency room visit.
    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/07/25/the-friday-56-29-not-juliet-by-ella-medler/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the two comments are fairly unrelated, but I do think that TV special would be fun to watch.

      Delete
  2. I like this cozy because of the emus. I have a feeling Grandfather's filmed documentaries might be funny too. I remember taking my boys to the emergency room for one thing or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny - my brother and I never wound up in the emergency room that often as kids. I thought the author was exaggerating to be funny, but I guess not.

      Delete
  3. I wonder what else has happened to qualify more hospital trips! I wonder where these mystery emus are coming from! Thanks for sharing :) Hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answers to those questions are revealed fairly early. But they are just to set up to a great book.

      Delete
  4. I love this series but haven't picked up one of the books in far too long. I will definitely have to give catch up! Oh the ER! I've spent far too much time there with one kid or another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you the hours of pleasure you have getting caught up. This is a fun series, which is why it has reached book #17.

      Delete
  5. I smiled as soon as I saw the title. I love the beginning too.

    It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ENJOY!!

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The titles alone in this series make me smile, too.

      Delete
  6. This does sound like a funny book, starting with the title and cover. I'm curious about what other mishaps have taken them to the emergency room already and what's going to happen next.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: REMIX.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title alone promises hilarious capers! I never knew there was a "cozy mystery" genre until I started reading your blog but I have become more aware of them and just finished one last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored I could get you reading a book. I'm very curious which book it was and what you thought of it.

      Delete
  8. Love the beginning and that cover & title are enough to bring the readers in!

    I've been away from the meme for a while, but trying to get back in the swing of things. Here's my Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they wonderful? The titles and covers for this series are great.

      Delete
  9. The cover and title made me giggle.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.