Friday, July 25, 2014

Ornament Stand Review: A Year of Disney Magic Stand - Released by Hallmark in 2014



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great looking stand for Disney ornaments
Cons: Wanted just a one ornament stand for the Year of Disney Magic series
The Bottom Line:
Disney magic stand
Great for holding ornaments
Not great for series




The Perfect Stand for Holding Twelve Disney Ornaments

I was not at all surprised when Hallmark announced their plans for a year long series of ornaments with Mickey and friends.  After all, their series with the Peanuts gang was a huge success.  And since that series had a stand, I was expecting Mickey to get a stand of his own.  I was a little surprised at the form the Year Of Disney Magic Stand took.  I love it, but I’m not sure I love it for the series.

What kind of stand do you create for a Disney series?  Mickey ears, of course.  This stand is a big circle with two ovalish circles sticking out on the sides.  The result is a very good Mickey head.  The circle sticks into a stand at the bottom with screws that hold it into place, and the ears are attached to the sides with screws as well.

The stand is big – 17.5 inches tall by 20 inches wide.  And that’s the idea because it is set up to hold 12 ornaments at the same time.  Two ornaments go in each ear and two go in the top row of the main part of the head.  There are two more rows in the head, and they hold three ornaments each.

Now don’t get me wrong, the DisNerd in me loves this stand.  As the box says, you can use it to hold 12 of your favorite Disney ornaments period, and there is a big appeal in that.  The ornaments can’t be too big since, even with the size of the stand, you really only have room for an ornament that is 3 to 3.5 inches tall, maybe 4 inches, depending on where in the stand you put it.  However, there are still plenty of possibilities, and you could even change it out every month if you so desired.  Many of the Disney ornaments aren’t Christmas specific, so you could use this display year round.  All these were reasons why I bought it.

However, the stand was sold as a stand for the Year of Disney Magic series, and that’s where I’m disappointed.  I loved the stand for the Peanuts series, which featured 12 different backgrounds and was obviously designed to display one ornament a month.  That, to me, was part of the fun of the series.  I was hoping for a similar stand for this year’s series, and this just doesn’t quite cut it.  I love it for the reasons I already mentioned, but it’s not what I really wanted.

On the other hand, it looks like the hooks in the stand will hold all the ornaments in the series so they face the room.  Not all the hooks on the Peanuts series worked right with the stand, so that is an improvement over the series from last year.

So am I glad I bought the Year Of Disney Magic Stand?  Yes, and I will have fun putting Disney ornaments in it.  However, I wish they had done something smaller for the year long series so I could just display one a month.  As it is, I will probably display the Disney and the Peanuts series together, but I’m keeping my eyes open for something even better.

What could be more magical than the entire Year of Disney Magic?

Original Price: $49.95 but discounted to $29.95 during Ornament Premier weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.