Friday, May 22, 2015

May 22nd's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Well, it's about that time in the week - time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'll be pulling quotes from my current read - Assaulted Pretzel by Laura Bradford.




This is the second in her Amish Mystery series.  I'm fast approaching the half way point, and it's as great as the first.

But the review will come next week.  For now, let's get to the quotes.  Here's how the book begins:

Claire Wheatherly was just reaching for a slice of Ruth Miller's second-to-none Shoo Fly Pie when she heard it - the slow rolling rumble of an approaching storm that threatened to put a kibosh on the treat she'd been hankering for all week.  Shielding the plate with her body, she dove her fork into the gooey goodness and - ...

Yes, that is actually how the first paragraph ends.  So maybe I'm being a little mean, but there you have it.

I'm actually going to skip to page 58 for the next quote.  Not really anything good on page 56.  But on page 58, there's this:

The more formal greeting died on her lips at the sight of Jakob standing just inside the shop's front door with a camera in one hand and a pair of gloves in the other.

So there you have it.  I'm hoping to finish this book on Saturday, and with how quickly it is going, I don't see that being a problem.

Hope you have a great long weekend, even if that means a few hours doing nothing but reading.  That's definitely in my plans for the weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Great post :) It sounds like one of those little town festivals. I really like ur BB, like she's trying to protect her food from anyone who'd steal such a good pie! lol.
    Have a great day,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a small town festival in Amish country. What could possibly go wrong, right?

      Delete
  2. Mark, I envy you reading these for the first time. I loved every one of them. And they do just keep getting better and better! Laura Bradford is a great author. Please come check out mine... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was reviews like yours that got me to give her a try. Thanks you.

      Delete
  3. Jakob sounds like he's up to no good! And now I want a piece of Shoo Fly pie! I've read one of Laura Bradford's books from an earlier series and really enjoyed it. This sounds like a series I'll definitely have to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pick up this series. I really can't sing its praises enough.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a fun book. I wonder, however, how kids respond to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is aimed at adults, so I'm not sure how kids respond to it either.

      Delete
  5. The title made me laugh. Good snippets... I need to have some pie now. HA!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, interesting beginning and 56 - definitely has me interested.

    My 56:
    Brooke Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to pick it up in that case. It's very enjoyable.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.