Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Book Review: I Will Take a Nap! by Mo Willems



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Creative storytelling and laughs
Cons: Not quite as good as some of Mo’s best books
The Bottom Line:
Interrupted nap
Will Gerald get needed rest?
Fun nap time reading




Sleepy Time for Gerald?

I may be well beyond picture books, but I’ve become a huge fan of Mo Willem’s excellent books.  How big a fan?  I stopped by Barnes and Noble the other night specifically to read I Will Take A Nap!  While this isn’t one of his best books, it is still very fun.

Gerald is tired and grumpy.  Clearly, he needs a nap.  However, Piggie thinks that sounds like a good idea, too.  Will she keep Gerald from getting any sleep?

These books are rather simple, even for picture books.  The illustrations are just the characters and a couple of props.  The only words are the dialogue that the characters speak to each other.  That dialogue even contains repeated words that will help beginning readers.  And yet, they fully entertain.  There are always laughs and you just never quite know what twist there will be before the end.

All of that is true here as well.  Poor Gerald doesn’t get what he is expecting when he lays down to sleep, but the result is fun.  Unlike some books in the series, there is no lesson here, but you don’t really need it.

So why the four stars?  This one just lacks the surprise that some of the others in the series have.  It’s a fun book, don’t get me wrong, and I think it will be a great nap time read.  I expect kids will absolutely enjoy it.  Honestly, I’m splitting hairs here.  This is still quite enjoyable even if it isn’t Mo Willem’s best work.

So if you and your child are looking for a new nap time book, consider I Will Take A Nap!  Gerald and Piggie will entertain you all.

2 comments:

  1. I love Mo Willems! I don't think one can ever outgrow Gerald and Piggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not. I wished they'd had this books when I was a kid.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.