Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Ornament Review: 'Tis the Seasoning! #2 - Salty and Peppy - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Nostalgic and cutesy seasoning pair
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Salty and Peppy
A throwback seasoning pair
Made me love series




Kitschy Classics Coming to Your Tree

As I’ve been saying this month, I wasn’t planning on starting the Tis the Seasoning! series by Hallmark.  When we got a sneak peak at this year’s offering, I wasn’t that impressed.  But the instant I saw them in person, I was blown away and I knew I had to collect this series.

This year, we’ve got Santa and Mrs. Claus, or as they prefer to be known, Salty and Peppy.  Mrs. Claus is Salty and Santa himself is Peppy, the pepper shaker.  They are mainly red and white.  While the pair of ornaments is shaped like more traditional salt and pepper shakers, it’s the paint on them that really makes them come alive.  This isn’t the traditional Santa and Mrs. Claus, but they are just a shade off traditional in a cutesy way.

A friend of mine described it as kitschy.  You know, that overly cute stuff you’ll see in stores and some kitchens.  Honestly, these make me think of my grandma and the type of things she’d put in her kitchen.  No, they aren’t overly elegant or proper, but they are cute and fun, and there’s nothing at all wrong with that.

But here’s a detail I love.  You can see the wood grain in the shakers.  No, the ornaments are not made of wood, but they sure look like it.  It’s those kind of details that make Hallmark ornaments so special, and this one blew me away.

As salt and pepper shakers, these have nice flat bottoms, so you can set them out on display.  I don’t see an obvious stopper to refill them, so if they were real, they would have to have screw tops.  Both pieces have 2 in Christmas trees as the series marker on the bottom.

And both of them hang straight as well.  Since this is a pair of ornaments, they each have a ring on the top, and they are both perfectly balanced.

This series has completely won me over, and I can’t wait to see what they release next.  It’s like collecting salt and pepper shakers but at half the size (and decoration only).  That’s really making Tis the Seasoning! fun for me.

Be sure to check out the rest of the 'Tis the Seasoning! series.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.