Saturday, August 22, 2015

Ornament Review: 'Tis the Seasoning! #1 - Gingerbread and Milk - 2014 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Beautiful shakers, great pair, fun
Cons: Needed glue visible at the bottom of the salt shaker
The Bottom Line:
Milk and gingerbread
Start new savory series
A perfect pairing




Such a Creative Official Start to This Series

I had written off the 'Tis The Seasoning! series based on the unofficial release in 2013, but I almost changed my mind when I saw the official first in the series that came out in 2014.  It took until this year to get me to go back to collect last year’s, but I’m glad I did.

This series features two ornaments, a salt and pepper shaker combo, with a holiday theme.  And for the first year, the pair is a milk bottle and a gingerbread cookie.  The milk bottle is the salt shaker, obviously.  It’s clear, so you can see that it is mostly filled with salt, represented by pieces of glitter.  The gingerbread boy is the pepper shaker.  He’s not painted in traditional Christmas colors but in blues with a little yellow.  He also has glitter on his frosting, giving him a nice glow.

What really drew me on this was the milk bottle as the salt shaker.  It drew a smile from me when I saw it.  And the gingerbread pepper shaker is lovely to look at.  The colors truly pop off the ornament.  Together, they make a striking pair that makes me want a nice gingerbread cookie and a glass of milk.  Oh, I know they are supposed to be salt and pepper shakers, but I can’t help it, I want a delicious snack.

Unfortunately, the milk bottle does have a little flaw in it.  The bottle actually consists of an outer and inner layer with the “salt” inside the inner layer.  In two corners down at the bottom, you can see the glue that holds the inner layer in place.  But it’s the only flaw in the ornament.

The bases on both pieces of this set are wide enough that you can stand them up to display them that way if you want.  And they both have the series marker on their bottoms.  Additionally, you’ll find the indentation for the stopper on the gingerbread cookie’s bottom.  Obviously, you screw off the top to add salt to the milk bottle.  If, you know, they were a real set.

However, if you want to hang these ornaments on your tree, you’ll find the rings on the top of the ornament.  They are both perfectly balanced and hang straight.

I didn’t need to start this series, and I resisted as long as I could, but I’m glad I caved.  This first ornament in the 'Tis The Seasoning! series is full of the little details I just love.

Be sure to check out the rest of the 'Tis the Seasoning! series.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.