Friday, April 29, 2016

April 29th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Sneaking in this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56 while I have a few moments to myself.

This week, I'm reading Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz

                                                            


The ironic thing?  This is a thriller, and I'm reading it while out of town for Malice Domestic, which is devoted to cozy mysteries.  Of course, I like to save Gregg's books for when I have long plane rides, which is why I am reading it now.
Here's how Chapter 1 begins:

After picking up a set of pistol suppressors from a nine-fingered armorer in Las Vegas, Evan Smoak headed for home in his Ford pickup, doing his best not to let the knife wound distract him.

Skipping ahead to page 56, we find this exchange.

"Wait! Evan!"
He turned to see Mia run-walking toward him in her midheel shoes, still dressed from work.
"Look, sorry, I know this is weird, but can I borrow your truck?" she said.

And there you have it for another week.  Have a fantastic weekend.

14 comments:

  1. Those sound like some interesting and unusual characters!
    My Friday post features FELICITY’S POWER. Stop by and say HI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking today about picking up a murder mystery which is not my usual genre and here you are at a Cozy Mysteries conference reading a murder mystery. Ha!
    My Friday Quotes: Anna and the Swallow Man

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good one, thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I'll take another murder mystery. :-) Happy travels.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. Today I am featuring Dragon Harper by Anne McCaffrey as I work to lower TBR mountain. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great excerpts. My husband just finished this book. He loved it. I'm featuring Fortune's Rocks this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the teaser but I'm mostly dying with curiosity about Malice Domestic! I hope you post all about it. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing this book so now my interest is piqued. I like a good mystery/thriller. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Driving home stabbed?! Crazy!! I love it!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I'm definitely curious about his "knife wound" - have not read anything by this author before - will have to check him out. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's a little thriller reading before diving into cozies. LOl I enjoy this author and Sounds like another winner.

    My Friday 56 from Titans

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good.

    Must be pretty difficult driving with a stab wound.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, a knife wound, just like a stubbed my toe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.