Friday, September 22, 2017

September 22nd's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Happy Friday!  Here's this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm pulling some quotes from Death of a Bachelorette by Laura Levine.

                                                        


This is one of my favorite series.  I always have a blast laughing my way through Jaine's mysteries.

Here's the prologue of the book:

I swear, it was a miracle.  Okay, maybe not as big as the parting of the Red Sea.  Or Daniel surviving that lion's den.  Or how M&M's melt in your mouth, not in your hand.
But a miracle nonetheless.

And, as a bonus, here's the first line of Chapter 1:

It took about nine hours to fly from L.A. to Tahiti - nine of the most harrowing hours of my life.

Jumping ahead to page 56, we find a fun exchange.  To set it up, Jaine has discovered that her cat, Prozac, has escaped from their room.  She's hoping that the maid, Akela, might have some idea why.

"Wait, Akela!" I called after her.  "You didn't happen to come to my room earlier, did you?"
Maybe she'd stopped by and inadvertently left the door open, clearing the way for Prozac's escape.
"No! No! I no go in room.  No kitty.  No kitty!" she cried, careening down the steps.
That woman really ought to do something about her fear of cats, I thought, as I headed to my room.

My full review will be up on Tuesday.  I hope you'll come back and read my review then.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds a fun read, Mark!

    Hope you enjoy it all the way through.

    Here is mine: https://alternative-read.com/2017/09/22/tgif-friday56-read-with-instagram56-bookbeginnings-thetasteofbluelight-by-lydiaruffles-followfriday/

    The Taste of Blue Light - it's a like a young adult's version of The Bell Jar!

    Luv Sass
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this book and the whole series. I would love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSOTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both beginnings. It sounds like a fun book and a fun series. I am featuring The Hunt by Chloe Neill this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a fun read! Love the dialogue! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that opening! I already want to read more. I have yet to read any of Levine's books even though I own several. I really need to get to them. Thank you for sharing, Mark. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.