Friday, April 27, 2018

April 27th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

It's Friday, so it must be time for this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm featuring The Art of Vanishing by Cynthia Kuhn.

                                                              


This is the second in the Lila Maclean Academic Mysteries.  You see, Lila is a new professor at a college in Colorado.  A college that seems to be a hotbed for mysteries.
Here's how the book begins:

The campus was cloaked in pale gray light.  Softly descending flakes muted the frozen landscape and cast a tranquil spell, as if I were inside of a snow globe.
Until a booming voice shattered that all to bits.

It's a great opening, right?

Meanwhile, on page 56, we find:

"More bad publicity," the chancellor said, glowering at me.  "Why do these things always happen when you're around, Professor?"
I cast about for a response but came up empty.

I enjoyed this one.  I'll be reviewing it on Thursday, so I hope you'll come back for the review.

In the meantime, have a great weekend.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun - I look forward to the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! I don't recognize the author but I know I have this book on my TBR because I remember the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound good. I'll be adding the series to my wishlist. This week I have Better Off Read by Nora Page. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a lovely visual opening. I'm thinking it would be a good fit for me. Thanks for sharing:)

    My Friday 56 from Shadowfall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.