Sunday, November 15, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Chernobog - Windows of Evil - 2018 Release

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: A rarely done character
Cons: Too dark to really capture the stained-glass magic.
The Bottom Line:
Demon in window
Doesn’t work as faux stained-glass
Because it’s too dark

Evil Reigns Overnight with This Pin

I’m always surprised when I see Chernabog show up in anything related to the Disney villains.  I guess I don’t consider the Fantasia movies when it comes time to think of characters or marketing.  Yes, I do have a few pieces themed to other segments in the movie, so I don’t know why my mind works that way.  Anyway, this rambling is just to introduce the Chernabog Windows of Evil pin.

Like the others, this pin is designed as faux stained-glass.  It’s a very dark pin, which fits since Chernabog is part of the “Night on Bald Mountain” segment.  This god of evil is taking up much of the window.  Behind him, we see some darkness as well as smoke up at the top.  He’s sitting on the top of Bald Mountain, and some of his subjects are at the very bottom raising their hands to him.

This pin stands out a bit from others since it has a bit more silver in it, including the mountain.  It’s not just the outside that is silver this time.  And I’m not talking about silver parts of the window, but opaque silver that isn’t supposed to look like a piece of stained-glass.

However, it doesn’t really work for me.  This pin is mostly brown and dark blue as it is, and the silver parts don’t catch much light.  While none of these pins are actually stained-glass, the way the pins reflect the light makes it look like they are.  Here, we’ve got nothing that would help with the illusion.

The frame on this window has a skull at the top, but nothing else really to set it apart.

Despite my rant earlier, there are enough Chernabog fans that this pin has proved to be more popular than I expected.  Still, it’s not a stand out in the series to me.

Pictures are up on my Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.