Tuesday, June 14, 2022

TV Show Review: The Amazing Race - Season 33

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun race even with unusual COVID obstacle
Cons: One of the adjustments post-COVID didn’t create as many opportunities for teams
The Bottom Line:
Race interrupted
Makes season memorable
Still fun overall


The Season with the Memorable Twist

It’s been a long time since I reviewed any reality TV shows.  There are a couple of reasons for that.  First, I don’t watch that many – usually competition shows.  If they are released on DVD, I’ve usually forgotten who was on and what happened by the time they come out.  However, I think that the 33rd season of The Amazing Race will stand out to me for a while.

This season of the race started off like any other.  Eleven teams of two took off from their homes for a race around the world, doing various tasks and following a set route along the way.  And we had the usual assortment of teams.  There were teams of friends (Ryan & Dusty), married couples (Akbar & Sheri and Connie & Sam), a newly dating couple (Caro & Ray) and two different teams of internet personalities (Kim & Penn and Taylor & Isaiah).

However, this season took an unexpected turn at the end of the third episode.  You see, they started filming this season in February 2020, so at the end of the third leg, they stopped production due to COVID and sent everyone home for a year and a half.

Production picked back up in the fall of 2021 with some adjustments.  Sadly, not all the teams were able to come back (I hope they get a chance in future seasons).  The bigger change is that the teams did little with public transit and definitely nothing on airlines.  Instead, The Amazing Race had a plane they used to fly the teams and the crew around to the various locations.

While I completely get why they did this and support it from a health standpoint (less chance of anyone getting sick), it did make it harder for a team that started behind in a leg to catch up.  I’m not saying it never happened.  Just that big swings weren’t as common as they usually are.

But the places they went!  Yes, this is all about the arm chair traveling, and I couldn’t have enjoyed that any more.  The locations were fabulous!  I’m ready to go visit some of them myself.  Maybe without the tasks, but the tasks the teams have to do make things fun for us.  There were a couple that I wouldn’t have appreciated at all, but most of them were good if not downright fun.

I also appreciated that the teams on the race generally got along.  You know what I’m talking about – those teams that fight the entire way through and you can’t wait to get them off your screen.  Yes, the teams had their moments, and some of them more than others, but overall, the teams were fun to watch.  I definitely had my favorite team I was rooting for, but there were many I would have been happy to see win.

I’m so glad this show is still on the air so many years later.  If you’ve watched The Amazing Race for years or are new to the show, you’ll enjoy watching season 33 of the race.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched The Amazing Race in years, but this season sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.