Friday, June 3, 2022

Book Review: Her Perfect Life by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Characters, some good twists
Cons: Ending; manufactured suspense.
The Bottom Line:
Secrets from the past
Make for compelling reading
With a weak ending



This Book Doesn’t Turn Out to be Perfect

I’ve been reading Hank Phillippi Ryan’s books since her first one came out years ago, and I’ve mostly enjoyed them over the years.  Unfortunately, her latest thriller, Her Perfect Life, turns out to be less than perfect.

Lily Atwood is living a charmed life.  A TV reporter with awards and millions of fans by day, she is a devoted single mother to a charming seven-year-old daughter by night.  Her fans think she has it all, and Lily works hard to project that.  Things take a turn when her latest anonymous source starts feeding her secrets from her own life.  Can Lily keep her perfect life?

The book does a good job of setting things up, and making us care for and understand Lily.  We get chapters from her point of view as well as two other characters.  We also have chapters that take place in the past.  These changes are never confusing since we get headings on each chapter.

And the story quickly pulls you in.  The cliffhangers at the end of the chapters grow bigger as the book progresses, and I had a hard time moving on to something else when I had to stop since I wanted to know what was really happening.

But as we got into the second half of the book, my frustration began to grow.  We had Lily asking countless questions at times when someone was looking to provide her with answers if she’d just listen.  It felt like manufactured suspense for no reason, and really began to frustrate me. 

On the other hand, one reveal made me gasp even though I suspected something was off.

When the book ended, I had to ask what the point was.  That’s all I will say without giving away spoilers.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Angela Dawe.  She did a mostly good job, although I felt like Lily’s daughter came across as a bit too childish in the narration.  Likewise, another character came across as very whiney.  I’m not sure how much of that was the way Angela Dawe portrayed the character and how much was in the actual book.  Honestly, I get a bit tired of whiney characters in Hank Phillippi Ryan’s thrillers overall, so I suspect it was a bit of both.

In the end, Her Perfect Life was a mixed bag.  I’m not sorry I read it, but I hope Ms. Ryan’s next thriller is better.

5 comments:

  1. This is an author I've been wanting to read but I think I'll pass on this one. What didn't work for you - particularly with the not listening - is the kind of thing that can drive me crazy in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review, I like that you pointed out exactly what didn't work for you without giving away spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do respect the author and I had considered venturing into reading her novels (namely the Jane Ryland series.) Are all of her books listed as thrillers or is the series more mystery.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her first series was definitely mystery. The Jane Ryland are mysteries with a bit more of a thriller element to them. The focus was still mystery, so if that is what you are looking for, you'll enjoy them. I did. I've got reviews of all of her books on my blog.

      Delete
  4. When the second half of a book isn't as good as the first, it leaves a bitter taste/feeling. Too bad this didn't turn out to be very good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.