Sunday, July 3, 2022

July 3rd's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to Sunday, the middle point of a long weekend, and another Sunday/Monday post.  As usual, I'll be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading

I had to work all five days this past week.  After taking off the last two Fridays in a row, that definitely felt a little weird.  However, it's another month end, so I had a busy week.  We were supposed to get off two hours early on Friday, but I only got off an hour early.  I just had too much to try to finish to make this coming week go better.  Yes, I am off on Monday for Independence Day, so that will be nice.

Yep, I went paddle boarding Saturday morning.  The friend who got me into paddle boarding hasn't been able to go for several weeks, but we met up at the lake today and enjoyed a spin around it.  It was nice to be out there and be out there with her again.

A friend posted this on Facebook this week.  I figured everyone would appreciate it.  And I'm hoping you can help me out since I'd really love to buy some of the books on my wish list know what the animal in the picture is.

I signed up for COYER Seasons Summer this week.  A chance to log every book I read over the next three months?  Sign me up!

I also started the Pod Meets World podcast this week.  Danielle Fishel, Will Friedle, and Rider Strong, aka Topanga, Eric, and Shawn and going to watch Boy Meets World and share their reaction to the show now and memories of filming it.  I need to rewatch the Pilot episode and then listen to that episode, which dropped this week, but I have listened to the introductory episode, and it was a lot fun.  I watched the later episodes of the show when it was on, but I bought a DVD set and watched it all a few years ago.  (You can find all the reviews on the blog if you are interested by going to the index, but here's the direct link to season 1 to get you started.)  I think I'll try to rewatch with them to see what I think.  At least that's the plan now.  We'll see if it continues over the next three years.

That's about all the excitement around here.  Shall we move on?

This Past Week on the Blog:

This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post (You are here!)
Monday - Candy Bar Review: Snickers - Cinnamon Bun
Tuesday - Book Review: A Perilous Pal by Laura Bradford
Wednesday - Movie Review: The Pajama Game
Thursday - Book Review: Death by Bubble Tea by Jennifer J. Chow
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts (which will be very light)

Book Haul:

For my book haul this week, I present three new releases.  Movieland by Lee Goldberg actually came out on 6/21, but my late pre-order from Amazon didn't arrive until this week.  It's the fourth in his Eve Ronin series.  Yes, this is a police procedural and not my typical cozies, but I've been reading Lee's books for years, and I enjoy them.

My other two are cozies that both came out this last Tuesday.  Gone but Not Furgotten is the sixth Cat Cafe Mystery from Cate Conte.  I'm actually allergic to cats, but this series always makes me wish I could go adopt one or two myself.  Meanwhile, Dairy, Dairy, Quite Contrary is the first in a new series from Amy Lillard that sounds like fun.

Naturally, I'm anxious to get to all three of them.  It's just a matter of when.

What I'm Currently Reading:

Case in point, you'll notice that both of these books have been in the book haul section, but it's been a few months.  Actually, I don't remember when I bought The Drinking Gourd by Katherine Fast, but I know it's been in the past few months since it came out in the past few months.  I actually just finished that one up (Saturday afternoon when I'm typing this).  The plan is to move into Poison Pen by Sheila Lowe, which I bought at the LA Times Festival of Books back in April.  (We won't even talk about the earlier edition of the book that I bought years ago and have never read.  I bought this edition because it's been edited, so I decided this was the one to read.)  I'm hoping to get enough reading done to be 2/3 of the way through Poison Pen Monday night so I can finish it up Tuesday.  I'll be reviewing both of these books the week of July 10th.

For those in the US, have a great and safe holiday Monday.  I hope everyone has a great week!

27 comments:

  1. Have a great 4th of July! I'll have to take a look at Movieland. Looks interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any excuse to buy/get more books is good by me! I'd love to tell you what the animal is, but then you'd have to go book shopping. Ok, I'll tell you (I love contributing to book purchasing). It's an elephant (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very hard challenge, that large grey animal with a trunk. Buy books!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I like watching detective and murder mystery on tv but I don't enjoy reading them. Although, I might enjoy Dairy Dairy Quite Contrary. Thanks for the links to read about them. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cosy mysteries look good. I want to read more of them this month as I feel that it has been far too long!

    Have a great weekend and Monday

    Emily @Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/03/sunday-post-38/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I love your book challenge. :) Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great 4th of July holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gone But Not Furgotten looks especially inviting. I love cats, too, but mi esposo has asked that I not acquire any more animals, and I'm trying to respect his wishes.

    I wish I could figure out that animal for you, but it's too difficult for me. As a fellow bibliophile, I say go ahead and buy books anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have a wonderful long weekend! A snickers cinnamon bun version? I look forward to your review of that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Movie Land looks good. I also enjoy Lee Goldberg's books. I, also, have Gone But Not Furgotten. I love that series. Have a great week and Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paddleboarding always looks like fun, but I'm sure I'd end up in the water! I do think longingly of those wider, open kayaks sometimes. Maybe once they fix the dam and the lake fills up again.

    I'm not sure I've ever actually seen that animal before, but I think it might be an oliphaunt like the ones in The Lord of the Rings. ;-)

    Have a great week, and enjoy your Monday off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been meaning to try Lee Goldberg's books. I like his writing in Mystery 101. This looks like a good series to start since it is only four books in. Glad you were able to get out on the lake. Have a good 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dairy Dairy Quite Contrary looks cute, love the title. Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to try paddle boarding.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your visit Mark - I skipped over and read your June wrap up of reviews and left you a comment there too. It's a good idea and efficient way to get all the reviews out there. I usually do one mini-review post per month that sort of serves the same purpose. I put out a 'best books so far this year' at the end of June that you might find interesting.
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/my-fave-reads-midway-2022
    Terrie@Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like a cozy mystery or any book really with a cat and love watching them on FB in cute videos but would never get one, not very good with animals really. Paddle boarding sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy Independence Day! And your new books :)
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am curious about Movie Land.. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I can see the Drinking Gourd over my house every night when it's clear. In Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a great 4th! I recently read/listened to the first Eve Ronin. I liked it and will continue the series someday. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rider Strong's on Literary Disco podcast is also engaging to listen to. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rider Strong on Literary Disco podcast is also engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That animal is clearly a horse! Right? :)

    I am curious about Lee Goldberg's books, I've seen a few of those around and they sound good. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh - I'll guess -- an elephant? Now go buy a book - even if I am wrong.
    It looks like I haven't read Lee Goldberg but I like police procedurals.
    I hope you enjoyed your day off yesterday. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you had a great time paddle boarding! I have a friend who does it and it looks so fun! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  26. Four day work weeks are so nice. I miss having a schedule like that. Paddle boarding sounds fun! I am glad you were able to go.

    Because I want you to treat yourself to a book, it's an elephant. I actually shared that with my daughter but she wouldn't play along. LOL

    I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.