Monday, July 18, 2022

Book Review: Movieland by Lee Goldberg (Eve Ronin #4)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Eve in another great mystery
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Sniper in state park
Eve finds twists in mystery
Strong entry for her



A Sniper in the State Park

I’ve been reading Lee Goldberg’s books for well over a decade now, transitioning from TV tie-ins to the books he’s written since.  I’ve followed him to his Eve Ronin police procedurals, and I’ve been enjoying them.  Movieland may just be the best yet.

Eve’s latest case starts in Malibu Creek State Park.  A former movie studio backlot, it’s been known for hiking and camping for years.  But someone shot at two female campers, killing one and wounding the other.  Eve’s partner, Duncan Pavone, immediately connects the shooting to some cases he was investigating before Eve joined the department, but the higher ups are refusing to acknowledge that this is anything but an isolated incident.  Can Eve find the truth no matter where it lays?

This is the fourth book in the series.  The case I’ve just teased above stands alone, and it is wonderful.  I wasn’t sure where the book was going to go for quite a while, and I definitely mean that as a compliment.  As the book progresses, things get even more complicated.  I was happy with how the book wrapped everything up.

If you are new to the series, you could jump in here.  However, there are several sub-plots that carry over from the previous book in the series.  You get the background you need to follow what happens here, but I think if you read the books in order, you’ll find the results are richer.

Likewise, you’ll also appreciate the character growth more.  In the middle of all the twists and turns, we get some nice moments for Eve and others in the cast of characters.  I enjoy seeing Eve mature as the series goes along.  The suspects are strong and make us care about the outcome.

Since this is a police procedural, there is a little bit of language and a couple of scenes that are slightly more graphic than the cozies I often read.  However, there aren’t that many, and they are less than in some others I’ve been reading recently.  Even the adolescent humor of some of the other books in the series is kept to a minimum.  There is plenty of humor of other types in the book still, and I laughed several times as I was reading.

I loved the setting as well.  It’s always fun to read a book set in Southern California.  I haven’t spent much time in Malibu Creek State Park, but I definitely want to go check it out soon.

If you are looking for a fun, twisty mystery, Movieland is for you.  Eve is at the top of her game here, and fans will be very happy with it.

Check out the rest of the Eve Ronin series.

4 comments:

  1. I love the setting in Malibu State Park. I haven't been there but I've wanted to go there for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This premise sounds really fun, I'll have to check it out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any books by this author but this one sounds really good. I'll definitely go back and pick up the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've read Lee's books, but this is my first in the Eve Ronin series. It really is a page turner.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.