Sunday, July 30, 2023

July 30th's Sunday/Monday Post

One last weekend in July, so one last chance to share a Sunday/Monday post this month.  As usual, I'll be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Not too much to report on this week.  I went into the office on Wednesday.  There were some meetings going on, and some people in from out of town, so we used that as an excuse to go into the office and go out to lunch.  It was a nice day, although I was happy to be back home for work on Thursday.  I really am spoiled working from home.

Other than that, it's been HOT.  The forecast is for low triple digits every day.  I'm not sure if is it quite reaching that or not.  Yes, it is a dry heat since I'm in Southern California, but that's still hot.  I was talking while I was out running errands today to a clerk, and we agreed how strange it has been since we went from cool barely in the 60's weather a month ago to this.  We missed the 70's and 80's we often get in late spring and early summer.

Really, not much else going on.  I didn't even write reviews much this week, but I caught up Friday night, which is a good thing since these are reviews that need to go up this coming week.

Blog Spam Comment of the Week:

Bad news.  This is the last one I've saved to share.  So this part of my post might have to go away for a while unless the spammers start hitting me again with fun comments worth sharing this week.

Again, this comment hit one of my book reviews.  And again, the quotation marks were part of the original comment.

"The blog's writing is not only informative but also emotionally resonant. The author skillfully weaves personal anecdotes and experiences, making the content relatable and connecting with readers on a deeper level."

All that in a review of a book.  I really need to go back and reread some of my reviews, I guess, since I never knew I packed so much into them.

This Past Week on the Blog:



This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - July Reading Summary
Tuesday - Book Review: A Sense for Murder by Leslie Karst
Wednesday - TV Show Review: Secret Invasion
Thursday - Book Review: The Body in the Cattails by Catherine Dilts
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

When I made my post last week, I wondered if I'd have any books for this section this week.  Well, I was waiting on one from NetGalley, but would I have any others?

I had three books by the end of the day Sunday.  I have a total of six this week.

As I was reading through other's posts last week, I saw a couple of people had gotten Outside the Lines by Sheila Lowe while it was free.  I'd originally passed since I've only read the first in the series and this is book six.  But I gave in after seeing it mentioned twice.  I mean, really.  How could I pass up free?  (Sadly, the sale is over.)

Then I got an email notification that Death Washes Ashore by Caleb Wygal was on sale very cheap.  (Again, the sale is over.)  I read the first, and I've been meaning to get to the second, so I couldn't pass it up.

Then my friend Cathy Wiley sent me an ecopy of her new mystery, Claws of Death.  She's introduced this character in the Destination Murders short story anthologies she's helped create, so I'm anxious to read a full novel with the character.

And that's just what I had by the end of the day last Sunday.

I did get my approval for Mistletoe and Murder by Connie Berry.  Yes, another Christmas mystery.  This time, it's a novella in her series with features antiques and England.  I really enjoy the series, so I'm looking forward to this story.  I'll read it closer to release day, which is in October.

Last weekend, when I was at the book signing, one of the women I was chatting with mentioned that she was reading and enjoying a series by Eryn Scott.  The first book in the series, Steeped in Suspicion, happened to be free on Kindle for a couple of days this week, so I snagged it.  (I keep bragging about books I got that aren't on sale any more.)

Finally, there was a one day sale yesterday on A Socialite's Guide to Murder by S. K. Golden.  Since I'd been curious about this historical mystery, I snagged it while I could.

That's a lot of reading for cheap.  And all of them were ebooks, too.  At least they aren't taking up room in my condo.

What I'm Currently Reading:

Ironically, I'm not reading any ebooks at the moment.

Friday night, I finished The Body in the Cattails by Catherine Dilts.  I posted teasers from it Friday as part of my Friday post, and I'll have my full review up this coming Thursday.  For now, just know that I loved this book and I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

As I'm typing this, I'm 10 pages into my next book - Murder on Bedford Street by Victoria Thompson.  This is the most current book in the Gaslight Mysteries.  I'm struggling a little with the fact that I'm going to be all caught up on the series after this.  Well, until the next book comes out next spring, that is.  I've been so far behind for so long, it's a little hard to believe I've caught up.  And I'm going to be sad to only visit these characters once a year now.

After that, I'll be traveling over to Italy for Death on the Grand Canal by M. A. Monnin.  The first book in the Intrepid Traveler Mysteries made my favorite books of the year list for 2022, so I'm looking forward to the sequel.

That does it for me.  Hope you have a great week.

17 comments:

  1. Those spam comments. :) And I still need to watch the finale of secret Invasion.

    Hope you're having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you had a great week of excellent deals. It seems my deals are rarely of authors I actually know.....but I meet a lot of new-to-me authors by picking up ones that sound good. Hope you have another quiet week -they're nice during the summer.....
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-57

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ebooks, too, because they don't take up space in my apartment. 😁

    Have a wonderful new week! ☀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I love the spam comment. I get a lot of those on my blog too. I love how they either insult me or overly praise me. It's just a book review! Calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very flattering spam comment xD mine are usually like "This is great, anyway, would you like to visit our scammy website?" And the weather here has suddenly dropped from 30+ degrees C to under 20 so my body has had to majorly adjust. Not loving that but actually very thankful for all the rain. It sounds like you've got quite a lot of reading ahead of you! I hope you have a good week :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  6. Low triple digits sounds very hot!

    I have the ebook of Death on the Grand Canal and love the setting. Enjoy.

    Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy Christmas novellas in December so I'll look forward to what you think of Mistletoe and Murder -- fun title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't beat cheap, especially for books by authors you know you will enjoy! Nice haul. I hope you enjoy them all when you get a chance to read them, and I hope you all get a reprieve from the heat this week. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the feeling of a new book in a long series, but do not like finishing the most recent book knowing I'll have to wait up to a year for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (If this is a duplicate, I apologize. I'm having internet issues today and I can't tell if my first comment went through.) Humidity definitely makes the heat feel worse, but at some point hot is just hot and it's unbearable (for me) either way. I don't wish you to receive spam comments, but I'll miss your weekly posts about them. They sure have provided some good laughs! Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. While we're baking here in the 818, I was talking to my co-worker who lives by LAX and she said it was warming up almost into the 80s. lol

    Working from home is THE BEST but I do miss going out to lunch with coworkers and I miss the yummy Cinco de Mayo potlucks, 4th of July chili dog potlucks, and ice cream socials.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like the spammer was writing a review of your review!

    I'd have loved to have worked at least part-time from home.

    And, boy, you certainly did find a lot of inexpensive new books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love ebook deals but need to stop taking advantage. My TBR mountain, though virtual, is still the size of Denali. One disadvantage of the Kindle is that you can't see the whole bunch like you can a physical TBR pile. It's easier to lose track of what you have. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do enjoy your reviews but wow! Didn't realize how talented you were. Gotta love the the spam comments. I got Mistletoe and Murder and am so excited to read it and I really need to get the Sheila Lowe! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a good selection this week again! A Socialite's Guide to Murder immediately caught my eye, and it sounds like something I might enjoy. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed a couple of triple digit heat days here in north Florida while I was in Kansas - only 95 there.
    That seems like a creative blog spam comment.
    You collect ebooks like I collect audios. And you tempt me with some of the NetGalley titles. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.