Sunday, September 17, 2023

September 17th's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to this week's Sunday/Monday Post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Not too much of excitement happens around here this week.  The weather is definitely cooling off, unfortunately.  We are in the low 80's or upper 70's for the highs.  I'm not ready to say goodbye to summer!  Although it was nice to open up my condo several days this week.

I've met my deadlines at work for quarter end close, which is fantastic and a weight off my mind.  I'm just vegging this weekend.

Blog Spam Comment of the Week:

Time for another fun/funny blog spam comment.  This one was on an old book review from about 4 years ago.  Maybe by leaving the comment on one that old they thought it would slip by and show up?  As always, all spelling and punctuation is theirs, although I did edit the is between the < >'s.

keep up the great work, just shared this with my friend <unrelated product link removed> . Good luck with your future endeavours.Nice post mate

I think I liked this one since it randomly put the product link right in the middle, which isn't usually what happens.

This Past Week on the Blog:



This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Ornament Review: Oliver and Dodger
Tuesday - Book Review: Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas by Vicki Delany
Wednesday - Movie Review: Truth or Dare
Thursday - Book Review: The Right Sort of Man by Allison Montclair
Friday - Friday Post featuring Mrs. Claus and the Trouble with Turkeys
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

I bought quite a few books that were on sale for Kindle during the last week of August I haven't talked about yet.  Add to that the other random books I've gotten and I have quite a few books I haven't confessed to getting yet.  I think I'm going to cover half of my list this week and then talk about more next week.  For some reason, I worry that I won't have books to talk about some week in this section.  I know, I know, I'm a comedian.

The first book I want to talk about is The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly.  Really, I should have included it last week when I was talking about Bouchercon - not because I bought it there but because I got the audio version to listen to on my way down and back.  This was actually a relisten, the last I'll have to do with Michael Connelly's books since I started at the beginning and decided to listen to all of them in order, and I'm anxious to move forward and find out what happens next for these characters.  It had been long enough since the first time I'd read this book that I'd forgotten most of the plot points, so it was fantastic to see what happened all over again.

Meanwhile, Saturday morning, I snagged my ARC of Sugar Plum Poisoned, the fifteenth Cupcake Bakery Mystery from Jenn McKinlay.  It's a good thing I got it since I am planning to start it about a week from now.  This is obviously a Christmas entry in the series.  I love the series, so I'm anxious to see what happens next to the characters.

So let's get to some of these sale books.  Sadly, the sales are over at this point.  Sorry.

The first is the Silicon Valley Mysteries Boxed Set.  This is the first three books by Marc Jedel.  I actually have a Kindle version of the first book already, and I haven't read it yet.  But this was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.  Now, hopefully I like it when I get to it.  I just need to figure out when that might be.

At the start of the year, I was going to make a point of reading a book I have by Ann Claire under one of her earlier pen names.  All of her series have sounded good, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet.  Then Dead and Gondola, the first in her newest series, went on sale.  Another author I hope I enjoy, but I need to figure out when I will get a chance to read.  This series features an enchanting sounding bookstore.

Let's make it three in a row.  I know I have the first in author Colleen Cambridge's series featuring Agatha Christie's maid as a main character.  But I was also interested in Mastering the Art of French Murder, the first in a series that stars a friend of Julia Child.  And then it went on sale, so I snagged it.  I've got to admit, I'll probably prioritize this one over the author's other series since it's the only book in the series so far.  It's nice not to be behind.

Finally, for this week, we have another October ARC.  Hunters of the Dead features the return of Steven Hockensmith's Holmes on the Range series.  I've been a fan of this series since it was originally in print, and it's gone through several different publishers over the years.  The series stars two brothers who are cowboys in the American west in the late 1800's.  They've also found some of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and the older brother has taken to Holmes' "detectifying" methods, which has helped them solve some fun and interesting cases.  I don't know what this book is about yet, and I don't care.  I'm just looking forward to spending more time with the characters.

What I'm Currently Reading:

As I'm typing this on Saturday, I've just started Mrs. Claus and the Trouble with Turkeys, the fourth Mrs. Claus Mystery by Liz Ireland.  I love this series, so I'm looking forward to getting more than 25 pages into the book.  (Told you I'd just started it.)  As you probably guessed, this one involves the first time that Santaland decides to celebrate Thanksgiving.  So far, we have a missing turkey.  And I know murder is coming.  How they tie together, I have yet to figure out.

This is my final September book.  Kind of crazy that I am thinking of finishing up September books already.  But I have lots of October ARCs lined up, so I won't complain about getting a jump on my October reading.

That's it for me this.  Hope you have a great week!

22 comments:

  1. Yay for getting to relax at the quarter end!

    I find I'm a bit worried about Mrs. Claus's missing turkey -- that may make Thanksgiving at the North Pole hard to pull together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I rarely read the same book, but I did read Mastering the Art of French Murder a couple of months ago. Not a bad mystery story, though my review referred to the author's historic sense as "loosey-goosey."
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Having a (broken) product link in the middle of a post is classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love those spam comments. I've been getting random ones too, and always on older posts. I don't even get it so who sees those anyway?

    French Murder looks fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to your review of Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas. Have a great week, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to your review of Mrs Claus…! Have a great week Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you have to worry about running about books to talk about, Mark! lol

    It's a great feeling to have your work completed and to be able to enjoy yourself without thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, lots of great cozy recommendations! I think I'm going to try the Diane Vallere series first, I just love the visual I get of an elderly person "lying dead under a pile of jeans". Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a long time Connelly fan and that title didn't ring a bell so I checked my list and sure enough I read it years ago, but like you, I don't remember any specifics. I do remember enjoying the legal drama elements of that series. Have a great week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must be a good feeling to have all that work done so you can relax this weekend. That spam comment is funny! I have that series by Liz Ireland on my TBR list. It sounds like so much fun. I see that the e-book is on Hoopla, so maybe I'll finally dive into it this year. Have a great week, "mate"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those spam comments are funny. I had one this week from a review from a few years back. That Liz Ireland book looks good. I'll have to check out that series. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in the upper midwest and our temps are same as yours at the moment. Not ready for winter at all so I'm hoping for a lengthy Fall. Enjoy your reading this week!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to try that Liz Ireland series. Maybe this Christmas I'll make time for the first in the series. They also have such great covers and this one is no different. Hope you enjoyed your weekend vegging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice looking assortment of books. Your low temperatures match or summer high temperatures. Now we are lucky to hit seventy though the end of the week is supposed to get there. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The spammer must be from the land down under to have called you mate.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm getting started with fall reading (horror novel for RIP Challenge) on audio, but also just began one last summer read (The Islanders by Meg Mitchell Moore).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great news about wrapping up work early. Chilling is fun! Loved the spam comment, especially the "Nice post mate." Your new books sound great. Hope you enjoy reading them when you get to them.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_0318831224.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice book haul. I am most interested in Hunters of the Dead. I like the occasional historical western. I should try to read a Christmas story before I head into October horror and related genres. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for relaxing! You've been working hard and definitely deserve a break! I read the first book in the Agatha Christie housekeeper series and was okay with it but haven't felt the urge to pick up more by her. I'll be curious to see what you think of the Julia Child series. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice post mate! Mastering The Art of French Murder looks good.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm intrigued by the Uncle and Ants boxset or whatever it is with a VW Bug on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have run into Mastering the Art of French Murder, a fun book, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.