Sunday, September 10, 2023

September 10th's Sunday/Monday Post

It's the weekend, so that must mean it is time for another Sunday/Monday Post.  I'll be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I took last week off from this post, and I have a good reason.  A good bookish reason, in fact.  Last weekend was Bouchercon, an international mystery convention.  And it happened to be in San Diego, which is within driving distance for me.  Unfortunately, I couldn't go down for the entire thing.  It was killing me that I couldn't.  But it was the start of quarter end close, and I couldn't miss work.  Yes, I did ask, and my boss and I did talk about ways it might have worked.  But I just had too much to do.

I did take off early afternoon on Friday, however.  I'm assuming I missed the worst of the traffic doing that, although it still took me longer than it should have.  I was there all day Saturday.  I went to a few panels and got to meet some new to me authors.  I got to meet some authors for the first time, which was fantastic.  And I got to catch up with other authors I I haven't seen for a years.  Would I have liked to be down there for the full time?  Absolutely.  Was this better than nothing?  Absolutely!

Plus, I got to stop at the Pit Stop Diner on my way home for lunch.  If you are ever in Oceanside, go find it.  It's fun.

I did have last Monday off, and I slept in.  Actually woke up in time to play some ultimate Frisbee in the morning, which meant I got to see a friend who was in town and hang out with another friend I don't spend that much time with any more.  Both of those were great things.

Other than that, it's been work.  I even worked a couple of hours Saturday to get something off my plate that I wasn't sure I'd be able to get done.  I think I can handled the rest of my deadlines now, so I am feeling more relaxed about the next week and a half.  But I do resent having to work today.

Of course, the reason I was able to do that is because game day was cancelled.  The hosts couldn't be in town, so we are skipping this month.

I did go down to see Peter Pan Goes Wrong in downtown Los Angeles Friday night.  While it's been playing here in LA, they've brought in some big name actors to be the narrator, and this weekend is the last with Daniel Dae Kim guest narrating.  I was a fan of Lost (until it ended), but I also knew him from the short lived Babylon 5 spin off Crusade.  There were some things I could have done without, but overall, it was funny.  I'm glad I went.

Pun of the Week:

The best golfers always wear two pairs of pants just in case they get a hole in one.

This Past Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Movie Review: Napa Ever After
Monday - Book Review: Pink Lemonade Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke
Tuesday - Ornament Review: Ariel Miniature Ornament
Wednesday - Book Review: Bring the Light by J. R. Sanders
Thursday - TV Show Review: The Flash - Season 9
Friday - Friday Post Featuring Murder Off the Books
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Ornament Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Tuesday - Book Review: Fahrenheit 501 by Diane Vallere
Wednesday - Movie Review: Rampage
Thursday - Book Review: Murder Off the Books by Tamara Berry
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul - Bouchercon Edition

I went on a book buying spree before Bouchercon.  Lots of digital deals that are now old.  So I'll talk about them in coming weeks.  This week, I'm just going to talk abut the four books I got at Bouchercon.

That's right, I only got four.  But considering only one of them was on my radar to buy that weekend before I arrived, that's three spontaneous purchases.  If I'd been there the entire time?  I'm sure it would have been much worse.

The one book I definitely planned to buy?  Killin' Time in San Diego, the short story anthology released at the convention.  I missed the signing event for it, but I was still happy to get it.  Do I ever read these anthologies?  No.  Did I want to get it?  Absolutely.

Two of the books I got despite not seeing the authors or getting them autographed.  They were there somewhere in the 1700 attendees.  And I missed their panels since I wasn't there the entire time.  But both were on my radar before the convention, just not to buy that weekend.

And Chaos at Carnegie Hall by Kelly Oliver was on sale.  You know how I can't pass up a sale on a book I'm interested in.  This is a historical that takes us to 1917 New York City, and I've been eyeing it for a while.

Tragedy in Tahoe by Rachele Baker just came out a few weeks ago.  A cozy set around Lake Tahoe on the California/Nevada border?  I'm definitely interested.

The last book I bought as a result of a panel.  Lawrence Allan was on a humorous mysteries panel, and I enjoyed listening to him.  Actually, it was a fun panel all the way around (which isn't always the case with a humorous panel, I've found).  The main character is a former child star turned PI in Los Angeles.  I'll admit, the title gives me pause, Big Fat F@!K-Up.  But I bought it anyway.  We'll see if I can get past the language when I read it, right?

What I'm Currently Reading:

I had hoped to finish up Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas by Vicki Delany by Saturday night.  I'm enjoying it, but I thought I had read enough I'd be able to finish it.  Instead, I've been fairly lazy and haven't gotten to it yet.  There's still time to finish it tonight, right?

Whether I finish that book Saturday or not, the next book up will be The Right Sort of Man by Allison Montclair.  I've been intrigued by these books since I first heard of them, so I'm anxious to finally be able to read one.  They feature two women who set up a match making agency in post World War II London.  Of course, they are mysteries, but I want to see what the author does with the premise.

Have a good week.

21 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you were able to go to the international mystery convention, but I'm sure you would have had even more fun if you'd been able to go for the entire event. Maybe things will work out next time.

    You certainly came home with some interesting books. I always like stories that are humorous. I don't think I always find enough of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books you got look great. I especially like the look of Carnegie Hall. Glad you were able to attend at least some of the event.

    The Vicki Delany looks fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the books you got. Enjoy. Have a wonderful day. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mystery convention sounds SO fun - glad you got to go for some of the time. And how could any person be expected to attend and not pick up a few books? It's amazing you only bought 4! Have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-62

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome you got to attend Bouchercon. I've heard others mention that convention a few times, but a shame you couldn't be there for the whole duration. I hope your work calms down soon. Your book haul looks great, I am especially curious about Tragedy in Tahoe and will look that one up. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading about your experience at Bouchercon has me very excited about Malice Domestic next year. That one is always held in Central Maryland. I already registered for it and it will be my first time going, despite it always being so close to where I live! That book cover with the foul language would be a complete turnoff for me. Foul language is one of my biggest pet peeves and I have the hardest time overcoming it. Knowing that the book gave you pause, but you bought it anyway, I'll be interested in finding out what you think of it. Happy Reading and have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you got to go to Bouchercon at all, that's great! I hope work slows down a bit and you are able to enjoy more reading time. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! You were living the life this week!!!! Everything you mentioned sounds super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so much fun that you got to go to San Diego for the mystery convention, it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got to go to Bouchercon! I like the sound of the Lawrence Allen book! I hadn't heard of Peter Pan Goes Wrong, but that sounds good too.
    I would have liked to stay home sick a few days last week, but instead I masked up and went in. Tried to keep my cold germs to myself, but we had interviews to do and I had already rescheduled them due to illness once! Work is encroaching on my off time, too, and I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on only getting four books at Bouchercon! ;-) When it was here in Toronto--a while ago now--I ended up with a quite stack, some of which I never read. But it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If only we were all independently wealthy. I love what I do for a living, but doesn't it seem like there is never an end in sight? Hope things slow down for you.

    Great book haul. Glad you got a chance to go to the conference. Both books you're currently reading sound wonderful.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m glad you enjoyed the time you got to spend at Bouchercon.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas so bad. It's on my list, just not sure when I will get to it. Have a wonderful week, Mark. ☕📚🍁🌞

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great convention! I really like that series by Allison Montclair and hope you do too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like such a fun convention. I'm glad you had a chance to spend some time there. I'd love to go to something like that. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Boucheron meet up sounds fantastic and so good you could make it there at least for some of the time. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun to get to the mystery convention! So glad you were able to get to at least part of it. I just finished the Vicki Delany and really enjoyed it. I kind of thought the series had ended (I guess they just changed publishers) so I was so thrilled to see this new one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad the con was fun! Good luck with the work deadlines. I hope you're having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I sort of can relate to having to work sometimes when I'd rather do something else. It's fun to hear (read) your excitement for the book event. Glad you got some books that you wanted. Hope this is a good week for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.