Sunday, November 5, 2023

November 5th's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to the weekend.  Time for another Sunday/Monday Post where I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I had my second physical therapy appointment this week.  The therapist was very happy with the progress he saw.  Naturally, that made me happy as well.  It's definitely feeling better, and I can notice the difference as I'm moving it around.  I'm thinking if I keep this up, I should be able to avoid surgery.  At least that's the hope.

I had three trick or treaters on Halloween.  That was up from zero last year.  We've never gotten a lot at my complex - too many stairs.  But we used to get more than this.  There were a few years when I wasn't home on Halloween night, so I'm not completely sure when it dropped off.

At work, it was a busy week since it was monthly close.  But we finished things Friday.  It seems like some of the other departments had some issues, but we weren't one of them.  Fortunately.  (I hope I didn't just jinx us for the next close, especially since it is year end.)

Saturday, I drove down to Huntington Beach and back.  The world beach ultimate Frisbee league was going on down there this weekend.  With it being so close, I had to go down and watch for a while.  I sat in on some random games.  It was fun.  The players were all good, and it was great to watch.  I did walk down the pier there as well and look at the water a little, too, although most of the time I was watching the games.  Okay, so I did read/watch one of the games, but I did a fairly good job of following the action during that game.

This Past Week on the Blog:



This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Disney Short Review: Once Upon a Studio
Tuesday - Book Review: Calico by Lee Goldberg
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Terran S. Gardner
Thursday - Book Review: The Proof of the Pudding by Rhys Bowen
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

I only have two books to tell you about this week.  Can you believe it?  After those large hauls, it's kind of nice to have several weeks of smaller ones.

I got my eARC of City of Betrayal by Victoria Thompson this week.  The book itself comes out December 5th, so I'll be reading it in just a few weeks.  This is the seventh in her Counterfeit Lady series about a semi-reformed conwoman in 1920's New York City who finds herself still using her powers, but for good now.  I'm anxious to see what she's up to this time.

Meanwhile, with all the driving I was planning to do today, I snagged an audiobook from the library.  Since it's a shorter audiobook, I went with The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman.  This is the first in a long running series set on the Navajo reservation.  No, I haven't watched the AMC series Dark Winds, which is based on these books.  I've had them on my radar for a long time, so I am glad to finally be starting the series.

What I'm Currently Reading:

I got through a lot of The Blessing Way today.  I'm about 70% through the book.  I'll easily finish it in the next few days.  Possibly Sunday since I'm thinking I'm going to go out to another meeting after church.  But we'll see.

I'm also working on Final Cut by Marjorie McCown.  This is the first in her series set on the set of a Hollywood blockbuster.  Being the TV and movie fan that I am, I'm enjoying it.  I'm about half way through, and I hope to finish it on Sunday as well.  But I'm suspecting I won't quite get there.  I'll do my best.

If I do finish that book on Sunday, I'll start Case of the Bleus by Korina Moss on Monday.  This is the fourth in her Cheese Shop Mysteries, and it came out just a few weeks ago.  I'm looking forward to getting back to visit the characters.

Have a fantastic week!

26 comments:

  1. We read the Tony Hillerman books ages ago (the first one is from the early 1980s) and have always loved them, and amazingly, also love the continuation by his daughter Anne Hillerman, who took over when Tony died. I've even gone back and reread some of the early ones. I hope you enjoy the series!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some trick or treaters too. It's always hit or miss here. and we had snow! I was surprised we got anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't get any trick-or-treaters at all this year. But it was also snowing really bad out, it was our first snow of the year. This time last year here it was such a beautiful fall season, the weather was perfect last year. This global warming is getting really bad, unfortunately. Happy Sunday, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hanging out by the beach and watching ultimate frisbee sounds like a great way to spend a day! I live within a mile of the beach and just don't get there enough. When I get back to So Cal I'll have to find time to take my book and hang out for a bit (in the shade).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of passing out candy, I fill my Little Free Library with Halloween/scary books. I do that for the last week of October.

    I love to go to Galveston beaches or Freeport beaches, both of which are close to me. The most fun I ever had in Galveston was one year when I visited the sand castle competitions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't have any trick or treaters this year... they don't generally come to this neighborhood. Glad the PT is working and hope you ca avoid surgery. I can't wait to get back to our FL beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live in the country so we never get trick or treaters. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the PT is going well -- always great when that can be used for surgery avoidance. The trip to see Frisbee and thw water sounds great to me. I love watching the MIssissippi and the Missouri flow, when I have a chance, but it's definitely been way too long since I've seen an ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good week. We had quite a few trick-or-treaters (well over a hundred), but I wasn't counting. I gave out candy for an hour and a half, and was giving it out by the handfuls toward the end because I was SO cold. It ended up snowing that night. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that you may be able to avoid surgery. Your trip to the beach sounds fun. Especially as we enter fall and winter around here. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only problem with not having many trick or treaters is that I eat all the candy I bought for them! Glad that your physical therapy is going well. And, I, too, have enjoyed Hillerman’s books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Bellezza, with a Wordpress account which Blogger will not accept. I’m here from Sunday Salon. ☺️

      Delete
  12. I haven't read Hillerman's books yet but I love the Dark Winds series on AMC. I want to try the series now. Sounds like you've got some great reads coming up.
    At least you got three trick or treaters! We moved this last summer and so we were wondering how many we'd get this year and we got so many! We went through four big bags of candy. It was so great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great that your physical therapy is going so well. Your books look really good. I hope you enjoy them. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad physical therapy is going well for you. I like the exercises I do at physical therapy, but not so much the atmosphere. They have the t.v. on all the time. One time they turned it to The Game Show Network, which wasn't bad. However, most of the time it's on the news and they discuss whatever is on with each other and with other patients as well. I'm not there to discuss politics and crime. Ugh. At least turn on the Hallmark channel! Lol. I have two more weeks, then I'm going to suggest that I just do the exercises at home, which is entirely possible. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great that the PT is helping. Hope you can avoid surgery. Have a good week!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy the physical therapy went well! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying you are able to avoid surgery as well. We had 15 visitors on Halloween. Trunk or Treat seems to be the way to go these days. Hope you enjoy your books.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/11/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had only 6 trick-or-treaters on Halloween. I think a lot of the kids go to trunk-or-treats or other organized events. Glad your PT is going well. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had about 20 trick-or-treaters this year. Most came early trailing parents behind them. Glad to hear that your physical therapy is going well. I read The Blessing Way in 2022 but didn't continue with the series. I've also read Final Cut and Case of the Bleus and enjoyed them both. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great the PT is going so well. I had three trick or treaters plus 3 family related ones. That was it! Happy reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad to hear the physical therapy is going well, Mark. I didn't give out candy at my house this year--I haven't in awhile. None of the houses on my cul de sac do anymore. The next streets over though, it's trick-or-treat central. The get hundreds of kids. Those neighbors go all out with the decorations so I am sure that's part of the draw.

    My daughter's P.E. class is playing ultimate frisbee right now. I'm not sure she likes it much (she keeps getting hit with the frisbee). I mentioned you going to see world beach league games and she thought that would be fun to see someday.

    I hope you are enjoying your reading! I would like to try Victoria Thompson's books someday. Final Cut sounds really good too.

    Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad to hear you are making progress with your therapy.
    Sounds like another busy week for you. The Counterfeit Lady series sounds like one I would like.
    Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We get no trick or treaters but our neighborhood is very hilly and the houses are very far apart so I don't really blame them - though I do kind of miss giving out candy! So glad PT is going well. I may have to start soon on my knee and I'm not looking forward to it though I know it makes healing so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad your physical therapy is going well. I did it last year for my shoulder and it was torture, but so worth it.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.