Monday, October 30, 2023

Book Review: Cheap Trills by Wendall Thomas (Cyd Redondo #4)

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Great characters in a charming location
Cons: Pacing could have been better
The Bottom Line:
Hoping to help Mom
Danger among the beauty
The pacing is off



Uneven Trip to Bali

I’ve enjoyed the first three of Cyd Redondo’s adventures, so I was looking forward to seeing what kind of trouble she could get up to in Cheap Trills, her fourth adventure. Unfortunately, I found it uneven. 

If you’ve missed them, these book takes place in the 2000’s (as in that decade, so about 15 years ago). Cyd lives in Brooklyn and has taken over the family travel business. Ironic since she hasn’t travelled much herself. That’s started to change, for better or worse. Each trip Cyd takes finds her dealing with all kinds of danger. 

This book opens in 2007, and Eat, Pray, Love is all the rage. Cyd’s clients are all looking for trips to Bali, inspired by the book. However, Cyd is shocked when she discovers her mother is on such a trip, a trip she won from Cyd’s rival travel agent. An incompetent travel agent. So Cyd races to Bali to help her mother. What will she find when she gets there?

As usual, this book started with an extended section about what is happening with Cyd and her family in Brooklyn, while also setting up the trip. Yes, some of this carried over even after she left for Bali in subplots and character growth. Since I’ve read the other books, I was expecting this and I wanted to see how the characters were doing so I don’t mind too much. 

The books in the series work best when it is an even mix of travelogue, screwball comedy, and mystery. Unfortunately, this book didn’t have that balance, even after Cyd arrived in Bali. There were hints of intrigue, but it was a little heavy on the other two for too far into the book. 

But once the plot kicked into high gear, things really picked up. In fact, the twists were coming so fast, it was easy to get whiplash. Yet, I was satisfied when I reached the end, and I never struggled to follow what was happening. 

I also appreciated the character growth we got. Cyd especially has some issues to face, and I enjoyed seeing some of her relationships grow. Plus, I really want to know what happens after the way this book ends. 

The book also made me want to visit Bali. Okay, so it presents a realistic view of the dangers tourists could face, but it sounds so beautiful. 

And I did laugh multiple times at the predicaments that Cyd found herself in. 

While I do wish the pacing had been better, I’m glad I picked up Cheap Trills. As long as you know what to expect when you pick it up, you’ll enjoy it, too. 

Here are the rest of the Cyd Redondo Mysteries in order.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book. 

1 comment:

  1. Mark-- thank you so much for taking the time to read the book. I always appreciate your thoughtful comments and take them to heart!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.