Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Movie Review: Cabaret

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Liza Minnelli wows
Cons: Most of the characters are too shallow to like
The Bottom Line:
Berlin musical
Great performances but has
Shallow characters




I Guess I Just Don’t Get It

Having heard about Cabaret for years, I decided to take a chance and watch the movie.  I was expecting to have some issues with it, which I did.  But the entire thing is so bizarre that I can’t see why it gets the praise it does.

The story centers around Sally Bowles (Liza Minnelli), an American who has landed a job singing and dancing at a cabaret in 1930’s Berlin.  The story gets going when she meets Brian Roberts (Michael York), an Englishman who has just rented the room next to hers.  He’s come to Berlin to teach English to anyone who will hire him.  While he insists he is gay, the two slowly begin to fall in love.  However, their relationship is complicated when they meet Maximillian van Heune (Helmut Griem).  Meanwhile, we get glimpses of what is happening in Germany at the time as the Nazis grow stronger.  Meanwhile, we also see the acts at the cabaret as led by the Master of Ceremonies (Joel Grey).

If, like me, you are used to all the main characters having songs they sing over the course of the story, be prepared to adjust your expectations.  All but one of the songs here is set in the cabaret, and some of the main characters don’t sing at all.  It makes for a different musical, and I had to adjust my expectations accordingly.  Having said that, much of the story takes place outside the cabaret, so many of the musical numbers felt forced. We’d go back to the cabaret for a number that was commenting on the action like a highly ironic Greek chorus, but it just didn’t work for me.  Or the song is playing while we are watching something else on screen with flashes to the performance back at the cabaret.

This musical was definitely pushing the envelope for the 1970’s.  If it were released today, I’m sure it would be rated PG-13.  There is lots of talk about sex and the innuendo is extremely thick in most of the songs.  I was expecting that going into the movie, so, while I didn’t like it, I know this is on me.

My biggest issues with the movie, however, is the characters.  I liked a couple of supporting characters and their sub-plot was nice.  However, the main characters weren’t really that likeable.  I started out liking them, but as the movie progressed and we saw just how shallow and self-absorbed they were, I grew to dislike them.  I was glad to be done with them when the movie was over.

Now, this isn’t the fault of the cast.  They are all fantastic at bringing their characters to life.  I have to give a special shout out to Liza Minnelli.  Wow!  I couldn’t look away when she was on the screen; her singing, dancing, and acting were also phenomenal.  Her song “Maybe This Time” is a highlight.

Once again, I find I’m the odd voice out on a popular musical, but Cabaret just isn’t for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.