Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Ornament Review: Boushh - 2013 Hallmark Limited Edition Star War Ornament


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great sculpt of a minor Star Wars character
Cons: Only if you didn't get it already since it is limited
The Bottom Line:
Limited bounty
Worth trying to find for fans
Force is with this one




Fearless, Innovated, and Now an Ornament - Complete with Thermal Detonator

I have a confession to make.  While I have seen the Star Wars films a few times and enjoyed them, there are so many minor characters I don't know.  That's why I almost passed on getting Boushh when Hallmark released him as a limited edition ornament.  I was fortunately enough to get to read the back of the box before he sold out, and as soon as I did, I snap one up.

In, like me, you've forgotten this character, Boushh is the bounty hunter who has captured Chewbacca at the beginning of Return of the Jedi and brings him to Jabba's palace.  Just one catch - it is actually Leia in disguise in an attempt to infiltrate Jabba's palace in order to free Han.

Still, even with that refresher, I had to pull out my Star Wars blu-ray and rewatch the scene.  As I did, I was thrilled to see just how close this ornament matches what was in the movie.  There is no hint who is behind the costume.  Instead, we get Boushh in his tan shirt, pants, and boots.  The left hand is holding a thermal detonator while the right has a weapon.  The only thing missing from the ornament is the chain in the right hand that connects to Chewbacca.  We've even got the flat helmet over the face and the pack on the back.

And I can certainly see why fans gobbled this ornament up.  It's a minor character, but the sculpt is perfect.  I can't imagine a better look for this character.  And really, how many are you ever going to find?  Hallmark likes to go with these lesser known characters for the limited edition ornaments, and they chose Boushh this year since it is Return of the Jedi's thirtieth anniversary.  Otherwise, would they have ever really considered him?

Add to the great sculpt is good balance.  While the ornament is not the steadiest since it just has the character's two feet to stand on, it will stand up on its own.  You could easily incorporate Boushh into any scene you are creating for the characters.

If you want to hang him on your tree, I've got still more good news.  He hangs straight.  Well, there might be a slight tip to the front, but I can't tell for sure.  If so, it obviously isn't bad at all.

So if you need to Star Wars geek out, track down a copy of the 2013 Boushh limited edition ornament from Hallmark.  You'll be very glad you did.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.