Friday, May 30, 2014

May 30th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

It's Friday, so it's time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

I actually finished this book on Wednesday, and would you believe I got no reading in on Thursday?  Yikes!  So that means I will be using Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman for my book this week.



And yes, the cover is perfect for the book.

It begins with:

My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

Moving to page 56:

The police station was housed in a squat building high up on Roister Road.  Its best feature was a view of Lake Nancy, now a silver mirror.  Its worst was a sheath of vinyl siding, which I used to ask Vern if he would let me take down.

And if you are interested in reading more, you can check out my review.

Happy Friday!

18 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting and I love the bleakness of the writing. This would be a great winter book for me so I can pretend we get snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you'll certainly feel the snow. Personally, even reading about it was a bit too much for me. I like my warmth.

      Delete
  2. I feel like this is a good murder mystery, but I'm probably wrong. I like the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a murder mystery in the traditional sense, but there are murders and it is a great mystery. I'd say you were right.

      Delete
  3. I've never lived anywhere where it snowed during the winter, so whenever I read about it, it always sounds magical.
    MyFriday56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book might poke some holes in that for you. Personally, I'm glad I've never had to deal with snow.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful beginning and great 56!! I love the cover too. Happy reading!

    Here is my Friday 56 post!!

    AND

    Here is my Book Beginning post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds promising!!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing. The two snippets and the cover make this seem a bleak midwinter sort of story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover captures the tone of the book perfectly, too. That's exactly what you get.

      Delete
  7. Just those two teasers make me want to read this. And grab a sweater.

    Thanks for sharing the beginning on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good, I'd fancy reading more of this one! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. If you do read, I hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  9. Let's see if I can comment…
    Very suspenseful, I love it! I see that you indeed loved it too, lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.