Friday, February 19, 2016

February 19th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

And now it's time for this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

I'm reading a middle grade book this week - Woof by Spencer Quinn.




I'm just about half way through and enjoying it.  Shall we get to it?

Two humans stood outside my cage, a white-haired woman and a gum-chewing kid.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the narrator in this book is a dog?  It's a technique that Spencer has perfected in a popular series of mystery novels for adults, and this is the first in a series for middle graders using completely different characters but a similar technique.

Moving right along to page 56:

[He stopped] just out of lunging distance.  I noticed that Birdie seemed to have forgotten about the leash, her end lying in the grass - meaning the new dude, Stevie, if I was getting this right - stood within lunging distance after all.  What a nice surprise!

And there you have it for this week.  Hope you have a great weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting concept of a book told from the view point of a dog.
    Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds humorous and I love the snippets. The cover is a winner too.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the idea of reading a book which has a dog as a narrator. I love books that are have unusual narrative styles :) I'd have to read a little bit more though to see if it's one for me! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great next week!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore the cover and the title! I'd love for everyone to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsDE

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dog as narrator sounds really cool! I'll have to look into his adult series, though the middle grade book you're reading sounds good too. Just as long as the dog doesn't get hurt, I'd love it! Thanks for sharing! Here's my Friday post. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting. I'm not sure I've ever read a book where the narrator was a dog. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me with the cover, but it does sound fun!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like reading books from the "dogs" perspective....lol...hope you enjoy the rest. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how fun. From the dogs POV! I must read this:) Mines about animals today too.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/02/19/the-friday-56-95-chicken-soup-for-the-pet-lovers-soul/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea. I would have loved to read a book from a dogs point of view as a child.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.