Saturday, February 27, 2016

Ornament Review: Dr. Sheldon Cooper - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Captures the character perfectly
Cons: Weird pose; might have been better in red
The Bottom Line:
A pop culture piece
A couple of weird choices
But fans will want it





I Hate this Ornament of Dr. Sheldon Cooper.  Bazinga!

Like so many others, I am a fan of The Big Bang Theory.  Yes, I do like all of the characters, but the stand out for laughs is usually Dr. Sheldon Cooper, and he’s pretty much the most popular character on the show.  That’s why it is no surprise that Hallmark chose to make an ornament of him.

On the show, Sheldon (as played by the outstanding Jim Parsons) is the annoying physicist who thinks he is absolutely brilliant, probably because he is.  However, he understands nothing of personal relationships.  Plus, like all the characters on the show, he loves comic books, and he’s the most likely character to be wearing comic book logos on his shirt.

In fact, he’s wearing one in this ornament.  He’s got a green shirt on with the Green Lantern symbol on it.  He’s crouching just a bit, and I can’t quite figure out why.  Maybe he’s supposed to be bowling?  That is one of his hobbies and his shoes could pass for bowling shoes.  Anyway, both knees are bent with one foot in front of the other and his left arm outstretched.  He’s standing on a big circular base with The Big Bang Theory written on the front and the show’s atom symbol on the top.

I get that they were trying to capture the character in action, and I applaud that.  It’s much more interesting than having him standing there looking at us.  I just wish I could figure out for sure what he is going.  That’s my only complaint with the sculpt because he certainly looks like the character on the TV show.

The base is a bit distracting, but it holds the workings for the magic portion of the ornament.  That’s right, add the two button batteries to the base of the ornament and press the button to hear five great lines from the show.  Four of them are repeated lines from the character and guaranteed to get smiles from fans.  They certainly do from me.  The fifth?  It’s a classic line from the character and it’s good, but I think it could have been replaced with his famous knocking on Penny’s apartment door.  But maybe that’s just me.

The flat base, of course, means you can display this ornament anywhere you want year round if you so desire.  The loop for hanging the ornament is on his back, and you will find that he hangs straight.

Of course, I would have preferred him in red, say a shirt for the Flash.  That would stand out better on a Christmas tree.  He doesn’t blend in too much, but it certainly could have been better.

So, Dr. Sheldon Cooper isn’t as perfect as he claims to be, even as an ornament.  Still, this is a fun ornament that any fan of the character will be glad to have on their tree.

Original Price: $17.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.