Friday, April 15, 2016

April 15th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Welcome to Friday and another edition of Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

I'm back to mystery this week, but I'm switching it up a little with a historical mystery.  The book is No Comfort for the Lost by Nancy Herriman.

                                                            

The book is set in 1860's San Francisco, which is ironic because this is the second historical book I've read set in that city this month.  In fact, I've been reading a lot of historical mysteries this month, which isn't a genre I read super often.  Not complaining since I like historical fiction, just something I found interesting.
Anyway, here's how the book begins:

The Chinese believed that some days were inauspicious, the ill tidings written in the passage of the heavenly bodies.  Celia Davies gazed down at her patient, a delicate Chinese girl whose skin displayed more bruises than unblemished flesh, and wondered if today would prove to be one of those days.

Page 56 is the end of a chapter, and here is how it ends:

He stepped around her, bound for the door.  When she did not immediately make a move to follow, he glanced over his shoulder.  "I thought you were coming."
She rummaged through her reticule, left money on the table, and hastened to his side.  "You will not be sorry."
"I sure hope not, Mrs. Davies," he said, frowning.  "I sure hope not."

Have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I don't know, this one might not be for me, but I hope you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like one I would enjoy. I also have a historical mystery this week. I am featuring 'Til Death Do Us Part by Amanda Quick this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read enough historical mysteries. I always enjoy the ones I do read and kind of curious now why I don't pick up more.

    My Friday 56 from The Overnight

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny how we seem to read in themes. I'll go for months without reading anything set in certain places and then all of a sudden every book will be set in the same place. I'm curious about this one. I've seen the cover around but don't know that much about it. I look forward to seeing what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love historical fiction from that time period. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm featuring Between you and me this week. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting and I do enjoy historical fiction. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure this is for me but I hope you love it. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever read a book set in that time period of San Francisco before.

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.